New guy 79 factory 4 speed wagon.

Mighty

Amateur Racer
Apr 14, 2023
Well if the heavier flywheel would be easier on the transmission I’d almost prefer that. I’ve been doing a lot of reading on the super t10 and I’m almost starting to second guess it but I have to keep reminding myself it’s only going to make a handful of drag strip passes if I ever get it in there and going!

Mighty

Amateur Racer
Apr 14, 2023
140D4890-96BB-4B7A-A3A2-9A4D3F9A37BB.jpeg
C82AA70F-9313-4D74-B04E-53825F8B4ED9.jpeg
5625F186-A34E-4A58-854F-939FE8B6D10B.jpeg
just figured I’d update this. Bought a whole new McLeod clutch and steel flywheel which I didn’t plan on originally. I knew I had to replace the disc but just bit the bullet on new everything. Also have all the new dana spicer 1350 u joints, a spicer 32 spline slip yoke, and spicer weld yokes for when it comes time for the driveshaft. We tore my super t10 apart (that was supposedly rebuilt) to install a fresh rebuild kit. 2 teeth were busted off the 2.43 input shaft. All the synchronizers on the gears were well worn. So we started making a parts list for an entire rebuild. I ended up stumbling across a place that had brand new Richmond super t10 plus transmissions with a typo on their pricing. Called them and after talking to the guy he said he would honor the price this one time so left just say I’m getting a complete fresh Richmond unit for less than what it would cost to rebuild mine probably or close anyways. It should be here one day next week. Next comes figuring out my shifter situation….

t5montecarlo

MalibuRacing Junkie
Oct 21, 2007
Lederach, PA
garage-scene.com
Very Nice Score!!! You are making progress.
Does the new transmission have a 2.43:1 first gear? There were a few different first gears available.
If you cut out the area of the bellhousing dust cover that surrounds the starter, you can remove it/install it without having to first remove the starter.

Mighty

Amateur Racer
Apr 14, 2023
Yea I made sure the new one had a 2.43 gear as I’ve read they’re they strongest. The dust cover and everything is all back in place. I was planning on this being a long drawn out process for the full rebuild. My brother would have been doing it when he has free time so I don’t know how long that would end up taking but I really lucked out.

Mighty

Amateur Racer
Apr 14, 2023
While I’m waiting on my new trans to get here I think I’m going to put my super t10 trans case back together and lay it on the floor next to the saginaw and try messing around with the shifter and mounting bracket incase I have to attempt to make one. Like I said, I had planned on rebuilding my current ST10 so I figured it was going to be a while waiting for my brother to get free time. I was almost starting to get that creeping feeling that this thing wasn’t going to be on the road until closer to fall. I’ll probably try to sell my current st10 as a core and maybe even the muncie I have too but I for sure want to hold on to the original saginaw.

Last edited:

Mighty

Amateur Racer
Apr 14, 2023
E65351CE-D882-43FB-9D19-85CC41F5E35F.jpeg
Got me a delivery Friday morning before work. Just put the crossmember back in and I’m going to jack the engine up a hair and try to slide it in place. Have to get a driveshaft measurement.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts