No Headlights!

Shawn F.

Amateur Racer
Jan 18, 2010
Charlotte, NC
I posted this thread in the El Camino Central forums but thought I'd try here as well to get more opinions or suggestions... Anyways as I was driving my 80 El Camino 2 nights ago to test out the alternator and charging system (I have been having charging problems and think I finally fixed it by changing the battery cables), the headlights went out on me. The dash and headlights started to flicker bright to dim and then they just went out. Turn signals, brake lights, running lights and brights worked but not the headlights. Now last night I turned the car on and put the brights on to move it to the garage to figure this problem out and the passenger headlight bright and low beam both blew out.

Does anyone know what the problem may me? I have the headlight switch on the dash that also dims the interior/dash lights and of course on the column is the dimmer for the brights. I thought it would be the dimmer switch and bought one but am thinking it's not now... I threw a multi meter onto the connectors for the headlights with the vehicle running and not running and am getting a constant 14 Volts. Batter is at about 13.7 or so while running and all electronics on so I am assuming it's being charged by the alternator. The headlights are Silvania Silverstar H6054's and are pretty much brand new with about 20-30 minutes of burn time on them TOPS. I pulled the entire front light wiring harness out and over looked every wire very carefully and double checked the grounds and found no problems.

I have no clue what is blowing these headlights out but I do know that I do not have money to keep replacing them so I hate to go buy new ones again only to have them blow out (I'm sure Auto Zone wont return these and swap them out for new ones). Any idea what could be causing the problem?

Any information would be greatly appreciated!

Bubuseventy8

Dragway Regular
Jul 26, 2003
Springfield, TN
facebook.com
Have you tried the fusible link?

bowtie81

Mar 28, 2008
sarnia, ontario canada
Check your grounds. Kinda had the same thing with my parking lights and found it was the ground that had a bit of green death on it.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts