No spark, MSD ignition, need some help

64malibu79

Amateur Racer
Aug 23, 2006
Brandywine, MD
I just finished my head and intake swap and finally got everything wrapped up and the car back on the ground. I went to fire it up this evening and it turned over and spit up through the carb, so I figured I must have the dist. 180* out. In the meantime a friend came by that needed my help. So a few hours pass and I get back to the car. So since it appeared that the dist was 180* out I pulled it and rotated 180 and reinstalled. Now I'm getting no spark. I'm running a MSD 6a box, MSD vacuum advance dist., and a Blaster 2 coil. I verified 12v coming into the box but when cranking I can't get a reading on the coil terminals. Should I be seeing 12v at the coil or something else. I pulled a plug for a visual and no spark. Is there a chance the box blew a internal fuse and now it's not energizing the coil (I remember hearing that the internal fusses would blow and the box wouldn't work)?

The thing that's taking me off guard is it wanted to fire earlier but now it doesn't want to do anything.

This was just a head and intake swap, nothing else has changed. I just needed to hook up the + cables on the starter and the grounds and that's it.

Any ideas, am I missing something?

A

Anonymous

Do you have another dist. or does that one have an ign. module in it?
I ask because you should bypass the box for now and get the timing and motor
running first then go back to diagnosing the box. As far as the box,you should see 460-480 volts on the primary + side of the coil while cranking. Also check.....pick-up coil pulse ,12v to small gauge turn on wire to box while cranking,good - and + connections to heavy 12 ga wires. I personally dont know if they are internally fused,i don't think it's user servicable,i beleive the board is potted sealed. That's why it's riveted shut.
Let us know what you find.
James

64malibu79

Amateur Racer
Aug 23, 2006
Brandywine, MD
I finally got it to spark, it was a blown fuse...go figure. Not sure how it popped but I'm getting plenty of spark now. Just need to get it to fire up, I ran out of time last night so hopefully I'll have it running by the weekend.

Thanks for the help.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts