nos, not working

DFWMalibu

Dragway Regular
Dec 15, 2006
Dallas,Tx
if that was the problem then it would have went lean and he said his plugs showed to be rich...

DFWMalibu

Dragway Regular
Dec 15, 2006
Dallas,Tx
did it stutter at all...

Ed Cannon

Pro Stocker
Jul 17, 2009
Johnson City Tn
Yep something is definitely wrong, my old junk picks up .6 on a 100 shot. Are you spinning bad out of the hole. I know I lost 60ft times on spray until I changed to Hoosiers. Is your plate upside down? Sounds stupid but Ive seen it happen. Did you check the flowing psi of the fuel or just dead head? You need to check flowing psi, it should it be set 6 psi. Some people set it a little lower.

COPO 572

Dragway Regular
Mar 23, 2004
Morrisville, NC 27560
If the nitrous plunger is swollen and not allowing the expected amount of nitrous into the mix, you will run extremely rich. Basically you will have a gas solenoid squirting in extra fuel and no extra air (or nitrous) to go with it. This is rich my man!!

If I remember correctly, when I took the nitrous solenoid apart, the plunger would not only be swollen, but it would be wet with fuel. I fixed the problem by changing the bends in the nitrous line so the fuel could not get into the solenoid.

DFWMalibu

Dragway Regular
Dec 15, 2006
Dallas,Tx
gotcha thought you were talking about the fuel solenoid was swollen... must have misread...

Chris K.

Ed Cannon

Pro Stocker
Jul 17, 2009
Johnson City Tn
COPO 572 said:
If the nitrous plunger is swollen and not allowing the expected amount of nitrous into the mix, you will run extremely rich. Basically you will have a gas solenoid squirting in extra fuel and no extra air (or nitrous) to go with it. This is rich my man!!

If I remember correctly, when I took the nitrous solenoid apart, the plunger would not only be swollen, but it would be wet with fuel. I fixed the problem by changing the bends in the nitrous line so the fuel could not get into the solenoid.
Thats good to know I didn't realize that. I recently has a fuel solenoid stick open on my cheater kit. The only thing that happened was a rough surging idle. I took the carb apart cleaned it checked timing etc. etc. I was at the end of my rope. Then I opened my 1 gal fuel cell and it was almost empty! Engine vacuum at idle had sucked my 112 octane right threw my fuel pump right into the plate. I was surprised how much vacuum could be pulled threw those tiny holes 8-[

toxicbu

Frequent Racer
Feb 25, 2009
romeoville il
DFWMalibu said:
did it stutter at all...
no stutter - no backfire - the one thing i can think of is the bottle presher. ill be getting a blankit.

toxicbu

Frequent Racer
Feb 25, 2009
romeoville il
Ed Cannon said:
Yep something is definitely wrong, my old junk picks up .6 on a 100 shot. Are you spinning bad out of the hole. I know I lost 60ft times on spray until I changed to Hoosiers. Is your plate upside down? Sounds stupid but Ive seen it happen. Did you check the flowing psi of the fuel or just dead head? You need to check flowing psi, it should it be set 6 psi. Some people set it a little lower.
dead hooked no slip, im getting good fuel flow at 6. the plate is in right (that was the first thing i cheked) it happins.

toxicbu

Frequent Racer
Feb 25, 2009
romeoville il
COPO 572 said:
I sprayed my last car and had a problem that kept cropping up. This was an NOS Cheater system, so it may or may not apply.

The solenoids have a plunger and seat type arangement. The plunger actually only lifts about an 1/8" or less when activated. If I remember right, it was somewhere in the neighborhood of .060". In any case, gas from the carburetor would end up in my hard lines leading to the solenoids. Believe it or not, the seat material on the NOS plunger is not compatible with gasoline! The rubber material of the plunger would swell up so much from contact with the gas that when the solenoid was energized, the plunger would not actually lift off the seat. It was effectively closed or near closed all the time.

Might be something to consider from an old nitrous junkey.
both solenoids are brand new and i dont have the hard line's i upgraded to the braided line's, there both angled out from the plate down and up to the noids.
i knew of a impala with the same n/x kit , he used the hard lines and the weight of the noid broke the fuel fitting at the plate and burned his car up. ill stay away from the hard lines.

Attachments

• noids 004.jpg
    noids 004.jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 905

Malibuwagon80

Dragway Regular
Aug 8, 2007
North Jersey
bottle pressure is critical: below 700psi and it will not work. you should have a blanket and keep it at 900 -1000 psi. I've talked to alot of people with N20 experience and they say you should get it to 1000 psi in the pits before heading to the lanes. Or if you have a 12 volt blanket keep it at 900 -950 psi. Also make sure you're flowing 6 psi fuel : not dead heading 6 psi flowing!!!

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts