passenger side header

80bu

Dragway Regular
Aug 19, 2004
Oak grove,mo
i have the pacesetter headers for a 98-02 f-body and the passenger side header does not fit with 1" set back plates from carshop. the drivers side fits perferct. it hits the lower a-arm bracket on the frame.. Wich header can i buy to work with this application?

A

Anonymous

Even Gen 1 headers have a tendency to hit that a-arm. The general fix is a little dimple with a ball peen. How much contact are we talkin about?

80bu

Dragway Regular
Aug 19, 2004
Oak grove,mo
I never heard of one hitting on the lower a-arm. mine always hit on the upper when i had gen1 sbc in there. I already had to dimple it to clear the upper a-arm.

80bu

Dragway Regular
Aug 19, 2004
Oak grove,mo
Sarge said:
mine hit this bracket on the driver side right now.
That is the same problem i am having right now.

A

Anonymous

Is it wear the pipe goes down around the front of the bracket and then bends back toward the rear?

I have to move my engine around a little to get all this to clear. I used to have a problem on the passenger side. I moved my mounts a little before I put the engine in to try to avoid this but now it hits that bracket on the drivers side. I would say just loosen your engine mounts a little, support it with a jack, and get it set so that everything clears. This is my plan but right now I'm just worried about starting the thing so this will wait.

80bu

Dragway Regular
Aug 19, 2004
Oak grove,mo
Yes that were it hits the mounts are loose. i am gonna try to put my trans crossmember in to get the motor in the exact location and go from there. Driver side dropped right in.

A

Anonymous

yeah once you have the trans mount in and centered on the mount then you can slide the motor over one way or the other. I hate those freakin bolts inside the frame. That's the only reason I haven't messed with it yet.

I'm waitin till I do the ball joints again. Then i'm going to take off the lower A-arm to get at the bolts since I'll have the stuff apart anyway.

quickie70

Weekend Racer
Feb 20, 2008
Denver, CO
same/same. Passenger side header tube hits the lower control arm mount :( I've got no problem dinging a header some, and I'm gonna see if I can move the engine around, but the back of the intake with the MAP sensor looks like it'll be mighty close if I move the engine back any more. I've got no problem moving the engine/trans around a ton, so I guess I'll just have to mess with it.

A

Anonymous

Probably don't have to go back. Just toward the driver side a hair. Hard to move it all in small increments but it can be done.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts