questions about my combo - is it enough to reach my goals

chevybowtie

Feb 24, 2011
Hi. I've got a new motor going in this weekend.

It's an 88 2-bolt 350, stock bottom end w/ flat tops, with vortec heads and a mild cam. By june I'm expecting to swap the cam out for an lunati 60103. I'm hoping to run 13's with this setup. It's goin in an 83 monte with a TH530 and 2000 stall (looking for a new converter), shift at 5500, headers and a dual exhaust. Rear end is a Ford 8.8 w/ the kit from Baseline Suspensions, 4:10 gears. Car is very light, as it sits (with the old 305 still in it) it weighs less than 3100 lbs.

I guess my main question is this. I'd like to run 13 flat with this combo. Is this possible, or an unrealistic goal? I'm looking at losing some more weight on the front end, and getting a set of light rims, probably Weld Prostars. Are there other things that would need to be done to reach a 13 flat? How much weight would I have to lose, or what sorts of mods ought I do? Are high 12s possible or am I shooting too high for the vortec heads?

malzer

Amateur Racer
Aug 31, 2010
Gettysburg Pennsylvania
Re: questions about my combo - is it enough to reach my goal

I think you are in the ballpark on what you can run with that combo. I think a little higher stall would help you get there quickly.

If those Vortecs are stock production units you will need a little work done to them to allow the extra valve lift.

Later.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts