Reading a plug

A

Anonymous

Ha, I was kinda think'n you were using 12 from the pic. Bob thanks for posting that link. Very good read. K9, Patrick has a very good video for reading plugs. I found VP's 12 burns a little dirty for some reason. The green color I guess I'm not sure?

cleetus

Amateur Racer
Sep 5, 2006
NJ
Jordan81 said:
http://www.4secondsflat.com/Spark_plug_reading.html

That was some funny stuff.

k9

Dragway Regular
May 22, 2003
CHICAGO
I took the plugs by one of the pro mod guys on my route and he told me it is running lean and told me to go from the 88 jets and try 92 jets.

boyzbad

Top Fueler
Jul 28, 2004
Olathe, Ks
IMO go one step at a time. Easier to see what works. If you jump that many at once you'll take more time going up/down to fine tune.

k9

Dragway Regular
May 22, 2003
CHICAGO
I agree. That is what I am going to do. I just bought a jet kit today. I will square off with a set of 90's.

A

Anonymous

k9 said:
I took the plugs by one of the pro mod guys on my route and he told me it is running lean and told me to go from the 88 jets and try 92 jets.

he read that plug and told you to go up to 92's? I really doubt in this heat you would need that much more jet.

first thing i would do is make a pass on a fresh set then read them. maybe you could leave the jet and put some timing in it.... or....pull some out , or...... no shortcuts on plug reading take your time and take baby steps so you don't get lost.

A

Anonymous

Yeah, I don't think your that far off ethier. That's what I was talk'n about with running some fuels. From an 88 to a 92 is a HUGE jump in drill sizes.From a .102 to a .110. I have always move two drill sizes. In smaller jets you have to go that many numbers to get there. I would go to 89's which is a .104 drill size and watch the mph.

88=.102
89=.104
90=.105
91=.108
92=.110
93=.112
94=.115
As you can see the higher the number the more jump in drill size. After you get a ball park you can really fine tune it with Max Jets from Comp Cams.

k9

Dragway Regular
May 22, 2003
CHICAGO
Thats exactly what I am going to do. Make a pass on a new set of plugs and read them. I am going out Saturday and I will let you guys know the results.Again, I really appreciate the help from you guys :)

mightymouse0355

Pro Stocker
Oct 24, 2005
atco, new jersey
you cant get an accurate reading while looking at a plug after the cars been idleing......run it out high end and then shut it down and coast to a stop with the car off......check the plug then anf see what it looks like

k9

Dragway Regular
May 22, 2003
CHICAGO
I made a pass with 88 jets on Sunday and I shut it down at the end and pulled a plug and it was bone white. Temp was about 93 with high humidity.
Check out my other post(jetting) I posted the time slip.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts