Reading Plugs in Kohler V Twin

StreetBu

MalibuRacing Junkie
Mar 21, 2004
Upstate NY
Also double check the rocker arm studs. I know that sounds odd, but on higher hour engines I've seen them snap off right at the base of the head where they screw in. Might be worth while to get 4 new ones and install them now. Some had studs, some were just bolts IIRC How many hours are on the engine?

t5montecarlo

MalibuRacing Junkie
Oct 21, 2007
Lederach, PA
garage-scene.com
If the Kohler head comes bare, do the valves and seats need to be ground to match? or are the seats all ready to be lapped to an existing valve?

For reference, the spec number is CV730-0014. It is on a 2002 or 2003 (?) Dixie Chopper X2503-60. It is used roughly 1 hour/week during mowing seasons. I bought it from the former homeowner when it was 1 or 2 years old. As far as I know, he only used it for this house and not commercially. There is no hour meter, so the hours can only be estimated from its usage.

The rocker arms were retained with bolts. The heads were retained with studs.

StreetBu

MalibuRacing Junkie
Mar 21, 2004
Upstate NY
I can look tomorrow at work. Yep, the rocker bolts I would replace if you have more than 700hrs on it. The seats are ground and ready to accept valves. Usually lap new valves in just for good measure. I wouldn't replace your heads if the valves aren't turning. Take your thumb and stick it on the face of a valve. You shouldn't be able to turn the valve. If you can, the valve is hung open and the guide has probably moved. I doubt yours has moved and the heads are probably fine.

StreetBu

MalibuRacing Junkie
Mar 21, 2004
Upstate NY
Weird it has no hour meter....

t5montecarlo

MalibuRacing Junkie
Oct 21, 2007
Lederach, PA
garage-scene.com
Yes, it is weird; the hour meter came on higher-end models at that time.

I was unable to spin the valves by pressing on them, but the exhaust valved failed my brakeclean test. It was a dribble, not a large leak. The intake valve passed.

I removed the valve to have a look. I wiped the seat with brakecleaner and took a picture; I think the seat is OK. The valve face has crud on it, so it no longer seated properly, but it doesn't appear burnt. When I clean the face, I will know more. I will carefully clean the face, lap the exhaust valve, and then perform the brakeclean test again.

I estimate the number of hours is under 400.

DSC05807.jpg

DSC05805.jpg

StreetBu

MalibuRacing Junkie
Mar 21, 2004
Upstate NY
Looks great to me. Clean the carbon off the valve, lap it, and throw it back together!

StreetBu

MalibuRacing Junkie
Mar 21, 2004
Upstate NY
Personally, I would. They are only a couple bucks. If you're in a hurry to Mow, they can be done easily afterwards too. Just pull the valve covers and replace them.

t5montecarlo

MalibuRacing Junkie
Oct 21, 2007
Lederach, PA
garage-scene.com
Some gaskets are on back order, so I can't put anything back together yet. I also need to do the other side and I haven't cleaned anything.

So, I have time to get the bolts, too...thanks for the tip.

Getting at the covers takes a few hours due to the amount of other crap I need to remove first.

StreetBu

MalibuRacing Junkie
Mar 21, 2004
Upstate NY
Is it back together yet?

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts