Rear Disc Coversion

Firetruck1

Dragway Regular
Jan 3, 2013
Ocala Florida
I have the parts and am well on my way to completing the front end 2 piston disc brake upgrade on my 88 Monte Carlo LS. I was considering grabbing the rear disc set up off the same 98 Blazer donor vehicle. The Blazer has a 7.625 rear end and the Monte has a 7.5. For all practical purposes, they are identical rear ends. My question is are the housing ends the same where I can bolt these on? I know they sell and advise the use of the spacers when doing this swap with s10 truck parts. Is this required and if so, why? My other concern is what to do about the master cylinder. Can I use one from a 4 wheel disc Blazer or S10? These vehicles use ABS where mine does not, also what about the proportioning valve? What else am I missing?

Has anyone done this where they can share first hand experience and pictures to share.

malibu795

Pro Stocker
Apr 17, 2005
spgfd ohio
will need a disc/disc prop vavle and most likle a disc/disc MC to get the most of it

could get a pressue bypas.regualter and adjust f/r biasis that way ans forgo the prop valve

Firetruck1

Dragway Regular
Jan 3, 2013
Ocala Florida
I think i would prefer the proportioning valve as the vehicles are similar weights. Do you have and insight into the actual mechanicals of the brake swap and the use of the spacers?

StreetBu

MalibuRacing Junkie
Mar 21, 2004
Upstate NY
I have that same rear setup but have never installed it. I know for a fact you need to trim the flange on the g-body rear end to make it square and drill two holes for thebracket to fit on. BUT....i've been told they wont fit because thecalipers will hit the frame rail and the shocks.

Firetruck1

Dragway Regular
Jan 3, 2013
Ocala Florida
Interesting comment about hitting the frame rail. i think I need to go take a few measurements to see how far the rear brakes sit from the axle flange.

Streetbu, your car sounds like a very cool combination of parts.

StreetBu

MalibuRacing Junkie
Mar 21, 2004
Upstate NY
Thanks, it's taken me a LONG time to get it where it is, still have alot left I want to do. electric fans, Camaro 34mm frt sway bar, possible b-body frt brake upgrade.. I'd love a T56 but that wont happen for a few more years cause if i do that I'm going LSX at the same time :D

elcaminoss84

Frequent Racer
Sep 26, 2009
Oklahoma
a bolt on rear disc conversion that im using is complete rear disc setup off of a 78-85 cadillac eldorado. then you use also the master cylinder and porportioning valve off of a eldorado too. the parts list you need is two rear calipers, two rear rotors, two mounting plates that bolt to the rear end, one master cylinder and one porportioning valve, two front brake hoses off a gbody for front calipers (must be four wheel disc brake Eldorado from 78-85 for these parts to work)

StreetBu

MalibuRacing Junkie
Mar 21, 2004
Upstate NY
Word of caution, dont use the kit that uses the front calipers from our cars on the rear. Brake bias wont be correct for the street and the pedal wont feel right.

gman415

Dragway Regular
May 19, 2009
Chattanooga
StreetBu said:
Word of caution, dont use the kit that uses the front calipers from our cars on the rear. Brake bias wont be correct for the street and the pedal wont feel right.
This is true. It's the kit I have, and i would't trust my wife driving it. It stop OK, I've never tried to panic stop, but question if it would slide the tires. The pedal does feel real spongy.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts