rear end sway

83grocerygetter

Daily Driver
Nov 13, 2010
Athens, AL
I have a 83 malibu wagon with a lot of sway in the rear end . i changed the shocks which improved the ride but it sways BAD to the left and with accelerated speed. can i add a sway bar or is there something else? any help would be great.

DOUG213XRJ

MalibuRacing Junkie
Sep 18, 2006
West, MI
I think the upper control arms keep the rearend centered. I would Jack up the rear of the car and place jack stands under the frame and see if you can move the rear end and see if it moves. Then I would make sure all the bolts are tight and check all four control arm to see if there striaght and not bent. Doug

racecar77

Pro Stocker
Aug 11, 2007
Crete,IL
Check the control arm bushings, upper and lower, on the rear end.

Bill in NC

Top Fueler
Jan 1, 2004
Mocksville NC
racecar77 said:
Check the control arm bushings, upper and lower, on the rear end.

X2, my car had the same problem years ago. It was the upper arm bushings in the rear end.

Supe

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 21, 2003
Charlotte, NC
Check to make sure the holes on the frame side aren't ovaled out, and that the LCA mounts aren't bent.

83grocerygetter

Daily Driver
Nov 13, 2010
Athens, AL
thanks for the information everyone, im planning on working on it tomorrow, i have new springs and was planning on changing the bushings while under there

Jaypaso

Amateur Racer
Jan 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
Is the car dog tracking ? my car was and i found that the frame was twisted and cracked. I pray that this is not the problem [-o< . check out the control arms and the bushings and the area near the mounting spots on the frame. Good luck keep us posted.

LS6 Tommy

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 15, 2004
North Jersey
X2 on checking the bushing's & control arm bolt holes. BTW, adding a rear anti-sway bar or getting a bigger diameter one will not help tighten a "loose" condition. It will make it worse. If you're experiencing oversteer you need a bigger front sway bar.

Tommy

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts