Rear gear/posi selection?

LT1_Malibu

Amateur Racer
Jan 19, 2006
Greenup, Kentucky
I plan on using the stock rear end in the mean time until I save up for a 9'' or something equal too.

My options:

-Buy moser axles that are 28 spline instead of 26 so It would be easier to find a cheep posi unit.
$250 plus the added cost for the used gear/posi unit.

-Buy a Detroit True Trac posi unit for the 26 spline rear.
-$400 plus buying a new/used gear.

In your all's honest opinion what would be the best route to go. I know buying the posi unit for the stock axles then getting the gear is going to be the highest dollar amount, but its also guaranteed that it goes together in a timely fashion. The after market axles are the cheapest way, but there's no guarantee that I'll be able to find a used gear/posi rear for a cheep or in a decent amount of time. So if you were in my place what route would you take.

I know most people are going to tell me to just spend the $ on a bigger rear, but I need to spend the Rest of my $ else where at the moment.

grizwald

Top Fueler
Feb 21, 2008
Ontario, Canada
if i were in your shoes and was dead set on using the stock rearend, i'd just buy a set of used 28 spline stock axles and a stock posi for it. spend the least amount of money you can on that rearend, cause when it does break, you'll be wishing you hadn't spent it to begin with.

can't...resist....must...say...it.....i'd spend the money on an 8.5" housing instead. :lol:

Jaypaso

Amateur Racer
Jan 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
I agree with griz. NOTICE he didnt say if it does break, but WHEN it does break #-o . If you look around you can find an 8.5 or better between 800 - 1000 this is listed in parts for $450 in parts (8.5 10-bolt rearend,Auburn posi,4.10's out of 73-77 Mailbu) :D

LT1_Malibu

Amateur Racer
Jan 19, 2006
Greenup, Kentucky
Believe me fellas, a 8.5 would be awesome for sure, but I don't have the jack for that and to finish the rest of the car too. If I wasn't really close to getting everything together I would buy a nice rear in the firs place. Like you guys said, spending a bunch of money on a small 10 bolt discuses me. Lol
I guess I may just order some axles for $250 and look around for a used f-body posi unti and gear set.

I'll check out the rear end listed in the parts section.

DOUG213XRJ

MalibuRacing Junkie
Sep 18, 2006
West, MI
Hey, If your axles are good, I would look for a used posi. You could also buy a new Auburn posi. For gears, I would go used. Doug

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts