rear suspension squat--stiffness

Betcha618

Frequent Racer
Sep 19, 2007
coram, NY
There are a lot greater forces on your rear suspension when you launch then you pushing down on the bumper. This guy I know has coil overs on the rear of his monte, if you push on the back of the car it barely moves but when he launches it squats hard. Just cause you can't push the back of the car down doesn't mean they are too stiff. You have to go by the car when it launches.

Barry 85 SS

Frequent Racer
Aug 8, 2005
Newport News, Va
I have the QA1 coilovers with 150 lb springs on mine and with the knob set at 6 clicks clockwise it was so stiff I thought something was wrong. I loosened them back to 2 clicks and it was noticeably softer, but the car was squirrley on hard acceleration. The one time I took it to the track it hooked really well set at 6 clicks so thats where I leave it.

dirty joe

Daily Driver
Mar 8, 2008
oklahoma city, ok
betcha, thats a good point. my force is nothing like the cars force. so, ill just wait to drive it and find out then.

thanks for all the input though guys. that way if it is too stiff, i know where to start

Norm Peterson

Amateur Racer
Oct 18, 2003
state of confusion
Did you install the control arms and torque their bolts with the rear suspension drooping?

If so, the static weight of the car has used up the "soft" part of the bushings' range of torsional compliance (flexibility). Loosen all of the control arm bolts, roll the car back and forth a few feet a few times, then retorque them with the rear wheels carrying their full weight.

Norm

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts