REAR SWAY BAR

malibu43

Amateur Racer
Aug 11, 2009
hi there ,as you know i race my 80 malibu as a road course,i need to know if the oem rear sway bar will help me in this kind of race? i allready have one,and also they need to be attached to the lower arms with the 2 bolts or could be with just one per side?
thanks

malibu43

Amateur Racer
Aug 11, 2009
thank you montecarlo,i ask that question, because i saw somewere with only 1 bolt attached per side.
regards

Norm Peterson

Amateur Racer
Oct 18, 2003
state of confusion
malibu43 said:
thank you montecarlo,i ask that question, because i saw somewere with only 1 bolt attached per side.
regards
I don't think I'd "borrow" any other ideas off any cars set up like that. Certainly not without outside review and comment.

Norm

malibu43

Amateur Racer
Aug 11, 2009
hi NORM,or anybody.
Iveen seen a bar attached from right side to the left side of the rear frame ,how they call it?,do i need to put that bar in my car?you know(road course proposal).
thanks

Norm Peterson

Amateur Racer
Oct 18, 2003
state of confusion
If you're talking about a Panhard bar - which attaches to the axle at one end and to the frame at the other - that's a whole other thing entirely. For really serious cornering, you would only use that with a 3-link, torque arm, or possibly truckarm suspensions.

GNX/Kirban traction arm suspensions also use a PHB, but that's a dragstrip suspensionthat isn't a great choice for road course duty.

Norm

LS6 Tommy

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 15, 2004
North Jersey
If you're talking about an "anti roll bar", that's a drag only part, too. Does your car understeer? If it doesn't, you don't need a rear anti sway bar (or a bigger one).

Not a great picture, but you can see the anti-roll bar on above the rear axle:

gnsway06.jpg

Tommy

malibu795

Pro Stocker
Apr 17, 2005
spgfd ohio
Norm Peterson said:
If you're talking about a Panhard bar - which attaches to the axle at one end and to the frame at the other - that's a whole other thing entirely. For really serious cornering, you would only use that with a 3-link, torque arm, or possibly truckarm suspensions.

GNX/Kirban traction arm suspensions also use a PHB, but that's a dragstrip suspensionthat isn't a great choice for road course duty.

Norm
norm

think you could give a desription on how you 79 is setup? including alignment specs?

malibu43

Amateur Racer
Aug 11, 2009
guys thanks for the replie.
but i think i did not make myself clear,the bar that am talking about ,its a bar that maybe tie the frame from side to side,that`s located almost like a rear bumper but its going under the car very close to the the end of the rails,do you got it now? if so please tell me if i do need to tie the rear frame.
regards

gstock8732

Dragway Regular
Jan 21, 2009
Jersey
malibu43,

the bar you are refering too. it goes after the rear axle.. before the bumper. i know what you mean, i think you should look at it like this. anyting you can do to stiffin the frame from lateral forces applied against it, should be applied.. i too am going for a pro touring style of my 78 malibu.

i plan on purchasing air ride tech suspension, as pro touring site gave me really good feedback from it. there mucle bars setup.
then the fender braces from a monte carlo ss. and the front support i believe it comes of a caprice.. it bolts to the front frame horns, and meets up at the "skid plate" of the front end.. think of it, as many triangles to be applied to the vehicle, add them..

and drag racing vs autocross/ road racing is completly different as far as setups are concerend.. many have told me about a man named herb adams. he wrote a book for gm chassis handleing . and as far as i remember reading, he was very infulencial with gbodys..

im not garanteeing my information is 100%, because i too am still learning.. you should subscribe to pro-touring.com,
the guys on there are very informative.

good luck with your build brotha..

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts