REAR SWAY BAR

LS6 Tommy

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 15, 2004
North Jersey
malibu43 said:
guys thanks for the replie.
but i think i did not make myself clear,the bar that am talking about ,its a bar that maybe tie the frame from side to side,that`s located almost like a rear bumper but its going under the car very close to the the end of the rails,do you got it now? if so please tell me if i do need to tie the rear frame.
regards

GM never had a brace like that, but people make (& sell) them frequently. There is a bar on Grand Prix's that runs parallell to the front anti sway bar that makes quite a difference, especially if it's used in conjunction with the F41 bars. Using one on the front of the frame is more critical than on the rear.

Tommy

Norm Peterson

Amateur Racer
Oct 18, 2003
state of confusion
malibu795 said:
norm

think you could give a desription on how you 79 is setup? including alignment specs?
I think so (and I was even able to find where I'd posted most of it here before).
There's a little more discussion in this thread.
copied and lightly edited said:
Chassis
Original F41 car with the braces
Extra nonstandard front crossmember
88A poly body bushings in most locations
Springs - Moog 5660 front (~640 lb/in), 5413 rear (~165 lb/in), not trimmed
Shocks - Bilstein HD, S10 front, G-body rear (IIRC)
Sta-bar, front - 32mm front, poly chassis bracket bushings, poly endlinks (the poly endlink bushings have been modified)
Sta-bar, rear - 22 mm
Control arm bushings, front lower - poly with the LCA bushings trimmed back just shorter than inner sleeve length
Control arm bushings, front upper - poly, unmodified, and they have squeaked since day 1
Control arm bushings, rear lower - poly, modified similar to the front lowers (and then some more)
Control arm bushings, rear upper - OE
Wheels - 15 x 8.5 x -13mm offset on all four corners, some trimming and other clearancing was required

Tires - currently mismatched SZ50 and g-Force Sports in 225/60-15. Nobody makes a street 245/50-15 any more. I cut down one of the SZ50's shortly after they went out of production and had to settle for the BFG's as being the best of the bad lot that remained (if this sounds a little like a rant, that's probably what it is curse_sign.gif )

Alignment - my own specs
. . . . . Street -0.7° camber, +3° caster
. . . . Auto-X -2.5° camber, +3° caster
If I was going to use just one of those settings for everything, I would set toe at 1/32" in for street and start at 1/8" or so out and experiment if I was going to completely dedicate the car for auto-X and trailer it to events.

Powertrain
355 w/Accel SuperRam, headers, own-design exhaust system, Tremec 3550, 3.73's, Auburn Pro Series diff, still 26 spline axles.

Other
Trunk-mounted battery
Cloth bucket seats from 1987 Nissan Maxima
Lightweight carpeting
Aftermarket tach and electronic speedometer installed in original locations

There really isn't a whole lot that isn't bolt-on at this point.

Norm

malibu43

Amateur Racer
Aug 11, 2009
ok guys and thank for the replies. i think i better tie the chassis as well,and try to get the front braces (the caprice ones will fit in?) what year please.
regards

blown 78

Dragway Regular
Dec 10, 2007
South Portland, Maine
dont know if this matters for this but its kinda the same. I have a circle track car and i had the big front and rear sway bar. Ran over someones bumper that wrecked the rear sway bar so i took it off and after that it was much better in the corners. Dont know if it bent somthing else to that made it handle better. Didnt check not that into it haha but it handles alot better on a circle track with out a rear sway bar.

Norm Peterson

Amateur Racer
Oct 18, 2003
state of confusion
blown 78 said:
dont know if this matters for this but its kinda the same. I have a circle track car and i had the big front and rear sway bar. Ran over someones bumper that wrecked the rear sway bar so i took it off and after that it was much better in the corners. Dont know if it bent somthing else to that made it handle better. Didnt check not that into it haha but it handles alot better on a circle track with out a rear sway bar.
If you can identify either what "feels better" about it, what it'll let you do now that you maybe couldn't do before, or what it won't do that it threatened to do, that'd be a start.

Things like spring rates and alignment settings would also help.

Norm

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts