replacing dowel pin?

Horsepwraddict

Pro Stocker
Mar 3, 2007
Princeton MA
This may be a stupid question but how do you remove a dowel pin from the back of the block. I need to take one out of my spare motor for mine and i cant get it out. I tried vice grips but it started to gouge the pin. I dont have a torch to heat it up either.

Anyone have any tips or tricks.

10secBu

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 21, 2003
Westminster, MD
I've seen specific dowel pin puller tools. It's like a slide hammer, but has a collet on one end to grip the dowel pin.

Still might take some heat, you can use a MAPP gas torch which works well.

deuce_454

Amateur Racer
Jul 21, 2007
Copenhagen, Denmark
buy a new one.. that way you wont have the headache again.. if it were me, and it really was a spare engine.. it propably drill the block with a 1/4 inch drill to get somthing in behing the pin and just drive it out with a hammer

MustangPunk

Weekend Racer
May 4, 2006
Trufant, MI (Ft. Riley, KS)
It may be harder, but drill straight through the dowel pin with a good drill bit, fill the hole with oil, cut a pos drill bit the same size in half, and use the smooth end, and hammer it in the hole, may have to refill it a few times, but it will come out. I'd rather try drilling through the dowel messing up some bits, and a dowel then drilling a decent block, if the block is a pos, crack it around the dowel.. :p

Horsepwraddict

Pro Stocker
Mar 3, 2007
Princeton MA
i bought a new one from the dealer, cost me $20 :shock:

just tapped it in with a hammer untill it was about the same as the other one.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts