sand blast/air compressor

79izfine

Pro Stocker
Nov 20, 2005
massachusetts
www.cardomain.com
was wondering if this compressor would handle this pressurized blaster what potential problems would occur and for example if blasting a chasis http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=92504 http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=34202

A

Anonymous

In my experience, with a 35 gal compressor, that compressor will not keep up. My 35 gal compressor contantly runs with most air tools. You will need a 60 gal at minimum unless you don't mind stopping all the time and waiting for it to fill back up.

As far as that sand blaster goes I don't really trust anything from harbor freight except for consumables. I say that again from experience. I have bought a few things such as a grinder, drills, etc that only lasted 2 to 3 uses. Jeremy

79izfine

Pro Stocker
Nov 20, 2005
massachusetts
www.cardomain.com
i already have the sandblaster so i would like to make it work i figured that compressor woulndnt handle it but figured i would get info from the experienced i want to buy the compressor once thanks for your input

10secBu

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 21, 2003
Westminster, MD
You need a very large capacity compressor to run a sandblaster for any period of time. It's basically like running the compressor wide open with a hose cut leaking air all the time. Probably the highest load you can put on a compressor.

You without question need a 2 stage compressor, as large of a tank as possible, minimum of 5 HP true running, 220/230v.

I have an Ingersoll Rand 5HP/80 gallon tank (2 stage) and think it would be undersized to run a sandblaster for more than short burts (maybe a couple minutes at a time).

Buy a quality compressor as it'll last alot longer. The initial price will be higher, but the longer life will more than make up for the up front cost.

Also look up Eaton Compressor as they make some real nice stuff priced close to the IR stuff. Quincy makes real good stuff, but higher priced.

Most anything from Harbor freight is chinese junk and will only last a short time making it a poor investment.

Wile E

Dragway Regular
Aug 11, 2003
Central WISC
I used one of those cheapo sandblasters and a 6hp(rated) compressor. Fine for small stuff, control arms, brackets, ect... not sure I would do it again for an entire frame.

sandblast001.jpg

BMR Sales

Frequent Racer
Nov 20, 2008
It all depends on how much youre going to be doing with it, small parts and running it 20 to 30 seconds at a time maybe. We have roughly 80 gallons of air with a Kaeser Compressor (smaller one) and it would run all day keeping up with the blaster.

79izfine

Pro Stocker
Nov 20, 2005
massachusetts
www.cardomain.com
well i have to replace floor panels i have good used ones but wanted to blast them then coat them after install but might pay to have them done if its less than buying tools etc to do the job . what blaster is it gravity feed or pressurized ? thanks

Mike

Pro Stocker
May 27, 2003
New York
Ive done a fair amount of sandblasting over the years. I wouldnt use my own 60 gal compressor. I used a 100 lb pressure pot that I borrowed from one of my friends and I rented a trailered compressor for the day. The type that they use for roadwork. It wasnt that expensive considering the amount of stuff that I blasted. Try to get all of the stuff apart and ready and just do it all at once. Those compressors are kinda loud but man they put out alot of air !!! And do yourself a favor...get a sandblasting hood, dont use a dustmask and glasses. Black beauty or even regular sand can sting after awhile ! OR pay to have it done and sit back and watch someone else get dirty !

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts