SBC headers and a Malibu

C LOWERY

Frequent Racer
Nov 2, 2004
Bates City, MO
I have a 79 Malibu with SBC. I am currently running Hooker SC headers and I had #7 crack today. I tried to BAND-AID it through the day, but it broke all the way off at 1000 ft on the next pass, much to my disgust. I didn't hurt it so I can re-weld it back together, but I decided to get opinions on what headers are possibly better. I am considering just getting a different brand.

Recommendations anyone?????

MY FYN 79

Frequent Racer
Oct 31, 2003
N/E WI
www.cardomain.com
What primary size are you looking for?

C LOWERY

Frequent Racer
Nov 2, 2004
Bates City, MO
I need to see what I have at the moment. I didn't measure it before I came in for the evening.

I am switchin to a 383 with roller cam for next years combo. Nothing super fast, just looking at getting down near 11.0's- 11.2's
I am running GMPP Fast Burn Aluminum heads that have angle plugs at the moment. I know this will make a little difference on fitment.

I am considering the BRODIX Track 1 combo but it probably won't be feasible, money wise, for next year.

C LOWERY

Frequent Racer
Nov 2, 2004
Bates City, MO
I welded mine back together for now. I will see what's out there and see what kind of money I have left to spend after I get armpit deep in to the new combo.

Brian79

Frequent Racer
Aug 21, 2008
Wataga, IL
don't know if this will help but mine rusted through and I tried to weld a plate over it but it wouldn't hold so I put the plate over the hole took some furnace weld that I found at AutoZone to seal the edges and a band clamp over that, let it dry and tightened the clamp down and haven't had any problems with it yet. does it look perfect? No, but it was better than spending $400 or more for a new set

C LOWERY

Frequent Racer
Nov 2, 2004
Bates City, MO
Brian79 said:
don't know if this will help but mine rusted through and I tried to weld a plate over it but it wouldn't hold so I put the plate over the hole took some furnace weld that I found at AutoZone to seal the edges and a band clamp over that, let it dry and tightened the clamp down and haven't had any problems with it yet. does it look perfect? No, but it was better than spending $400 or more for a new set

I think mine had a small crack to begin with and the 180 mile trailer trip punished it and finished it off. Other than that the headers looked OK everywhere else. I just TIG welded it back together and I think I will have them CERAMIC (probably JET-HOT) coated this winter. That should strengthen em'up pretty good.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts