Sensors & Vacuum tubes

George B

Daily Driver
Jun 4, 2006
Southern NJ
Nice Thread !

I appologize for stepping in, but this has been infinitly helpfull. I bought an 80' 4dr a few months ago and have been playing around w/ the 229. I got it running fairly decent, but I can see by the vacuumme routing diagram, I have a few misplaced. Mike, mine runs fairly smooth, no vibes. My problem: between 45 & 50, it almost seems the TCC locks up and disengages a few times until I exceed 55mph. Also around 35mph it seems the converter wants to lock up as it surges in & out untill I hit 40 or drop down to 2nd. I checked adjustment on the TV cable and it's where it should be. With 146k miles I guess I shouldn't complain. I have another car that I play with so I am really considering rebuilding the 229 (especially since my older sons will be driving real soon) It has enough power to move itself out of the way, but milage is lacking to say the least. I'm estimating I get about 13 mpg. I'll correct my vacuumme line routing and see what happens. Thanks again for the post!

George

mhamilton

Frequent Racer
Jun 11, 2006
North Carolina
Glad to help! I know most people dump the 229 off the bat, but if you don't need a race car, it's a competent engine. I know I don't need 300 hp to idle in traffic with the a/c running ;) And, it has enough torque to cruise effortlessly.

It does sound like yours has something a bit off... I usually see 20-21 mpg mixed driving, as good as 24 mph highway. EPA ratings were 19/26 .

I've had issues with the TCC hunting, but not as bad as you describe. I found that timing can affect how/when the TCC engages. I had problems with my mechanical advance, it was just frozen solid. Fixing that brought back power, economy, and performance.

It seems most people with an original 229 have not had the issues with vibration that I have. I rebuilt mine at 120k... the cam, rings, valves were all shot. That was 8 years ago, and I wasn't interested in a restoration back then. I should have balanced the crank, rods, and fit the bearings to GM specs :oops:

RADAMANTYSGPS

Mar 24, 2020
buen día para todos, y esperando que la situación de cuarentena por el tema del coronavirus sea prospero para todos.
Leyendo las preguntas y las respuestas atinadas que da el amigo mhamilton.
En mi caso tengo un Chevrolet Camaro 1980 V6 y en estos días de cuarentena me han enviado un servicio de mantenimiento de CUSCO PERÚ y no hay mecanismos mecánicos que conozcan muy bien el funcionamiento de este tipo de motores.
He estado buscando por Internet la conexión de los vacíos que van al carburador y no he tenido éxito sin embargo viendo las fotos que usted envía me parece que el motor de mi camaro es similar al suyo, en mi caso alguna vez cuando se llevo al mecánico desconectaron todas las mangueras de vació y las dejaron allí viene funcionando de este modo hace buen tiempo pero no me gusta como esta, quisiera tenerlo todo en orden mañana sacare unas fotos para ver si ustedes me pueden ayudar con las conexiones por favor.
mientras tanto un fuerte abrazo desde CUSCO PERÚ.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!