shut off alternator while racing?

rjleiker

Amateur Racer
Sep 24, 2008
Derby, KS
Anyone ever thought of running a switch to shut the voltage regulator off in the alternator to keep the drag down during a race, just while you run the 1/4 and then turn it back on? Anyone think this would be worth it? or would the decrease in voltage actually cost you power from the less voltage going to your coil? Just thinking excessively outside the box here...

grizwald

Top Fueler
Feb 21, 2008
Ontario, Canada
i'm no expert on the subject, but i would think unless you were taking the belt off to have one less thing running off the crank, it wouldn't gain you much if anything at all.

art

Amateur Racer
Aug 8, 2008
Mastic, New York 11950
I am of the opinion that the hp lost driving the alternater is easily eclipsed by the value of higher voltage as you described in your original question. Plus you don't have to charge the battery between rounds.

rjleiker

Amateur Racer
Sep 24, 2008
Derby, KS
ya, it was just a really abstract thought...

LS6 Tommy

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 15, 2004
North Jersey
art said:
I am of the opinion that the hp lost driving the alternater is easily eclipsed by the value of higher voltage as you described in your original question. Plus you don't have to charge the battery between rounds.

X2. It's been proven MANY times. Total loss electrical systems are stone age technology.

Tommy

scuba_steve's_bu

Frequent Racer
Apr 9, 2009
Rock Rapids, Iowa
i always thought that the only way to really "save" power was to not have a belt. i really dont think you would gain much plus (said before) wont have to charge the battery as much. just my two cents worth.

80montecarlo

Dragway Regular
Apr 24, 2008
cloverdale b.c. canada
the other thing is get a larger dia. pulley which will cause the alternator to work up top more than the bottom end where it is causing more drag.

A

Anonymous

If you're really interested in gaining a few HP, why not keep the alt and install an electric water pump and electric fan? I'm not an expert, but I would tend to think that would make more sense.

grizwald

Top Fueler
Feb 21, 2008
Ontario, Canada
formikec said:
If you're really interested in gaining a few HP, why not keep the alt and install an electric water pump and electric fan? I'm not an expert, but I would tend to think that would make more sense.

X2. i did the electric water pump swap and found a pretty noticable difference.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts