Slight occasional miss, first actual misfire today

Doober

Jun 2, 2003
Catalina, AZ
www.cardomain.com
FYI this is on my truck (383, TBI, Vortec heads).
Over the past few weeks I've been getting a slight miss at light/part throttle acceleration somewhere between 1600-2000. It's very intermittent so I haven't let it get to me too much, but today I had a flat out backfire. Immediately afterward it continued as normal. I've checked all but 3 plugs so far, all look normal; cap and rotor are fine. I haven't checked plug wire resistance, but I'm wondering if it's possible for the spark to jump plug wires. Ignition is stock besides an MSD coil, plug wires barely have 13,000 miles on them.

Any other suggestions?

t5montecarlo

MalibuRacing Junkie
Oct 21, 2007
Lederach, PA
garage-scene.com
have a look at night to see if you can see sparks coming from the wires. I saw it once and was amazed; the wires looked ok, but they leaked. After replacing the wires, the change was dramatic.

SSedan64

Dragway Regular
Oct 5, 2009
MACON, GA.
X2^^ about the Light Show. LOL!
Raise the Idle speed, set the Parking Brake & place in Gear. A little load will help show an arcing wire.

Doober

Jun 2, 2003
Catalina, AZ
www.cardomain.com
IMAG0852.jpg

There was another with a tiny bit on it, but it wasn't this bad. I'm REALLY hoping it's valve seals, the engine only has about 13,000 miles on it.

This is what the rest looked like:
IMAG0854.jpg

Aaaaaaaand I gave the underside of the hood a much-needed scrubbing.
IMAG0850.jpg

LS6 Tommy

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 15, 2004
North Jersey
It actually looks pretty normal for a production car plug with some miles on it. The thing I'm concerned about is the fact that they're not all similar.

Tommy

Doober

Jun 2, 2003
Catalina, AZ
www.cardomain.com
Me too. If they all looked like that I wouldn't be as concerned. I don't think it's rings because I've been there before... aka 1qt. every 100 miles with another engine :shock: I don't know the actual mileage on the heads, but I may have also fudged the seal reaplacement a little.

Brown_Gbody

Top Fueler
Feb 17, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Could weak ignition cause that deposit on the plug?? Maybe check the resistance of the wires as compared to the others? Look for damage to the wire along the conduit. I had one grounding out on my header (heat had melted the casing on the wire)

Just a thought....

Doober

Jun 2, 2003
Catalina, AZ
www.cardomain.com
Sounds feasible... I drove it quite a bit last night and it didn't miss anymore, but I've driven it that much before and it didn't miss... it's that intermittent. It has an MSD coil and I've been thinking of getting a high performance module to take advantage of the coil.

Damon

Pro Stocker
Feb 7, 2005
Philly Area
It's not valve seals. You can take that off the list. THose aren't oil dposits and the plug threads aren't wet with oil.

Replace just that plug (might have a bad one) and see if the problem goes away- temporarily or permanently. Definitely check the wire that goes to that plug.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts