Slight occasional miss, first actual misfire today

Doober

Jun 2, 2003
Catalina, AZ
www.cardomain.com
That makes me feel better, I was thinking it was oil. I've had a few hits of detonation trying to dial in my timing with the computer, could that cause something like this? Within the distributor's limits I can program it to basically any amount of advance I want, referencing the MAP reading and RPM.
11-23-satable.jpg

That's not the current table, just an example of the flexibility. Low KPa is high vacuum, high KPa is low vacuum.

Doober

Jun 2, 2003
Catalina, AZ
www.cardomain.com
So I checked both the plug and the wire, and their resistance is right around what I've read they should be (plug is about 4.5-5k ohms, wire is about 1.5k, checked both against another plug/wire). Funny thing is I picked up two plugs to replace the ones that had stuff on them, and one of them read about 45k... I double and triple checked to be sure I wasn't wrong on the reading.

What else may be causing this? Pickup coil? Module? Coil? I just started it and held it steady as I could near 1800rpm and it didn't miss, but I'd also just cleaned off the plug. 99% of the time it misses between 1700-2000rpm.

95cardinal

Daily Driver
Aug 18, 2011
SE Michigan
I had an HEI module that would occassionally misfire when it got really hot.
It would test "OK" on the tester, but after running several consecutive tests it checked "bad".

I thought they were either good or bad, but that one was flaky...

t5montecarlo

MalibuRacing Junkie
Oct 21, 2007
Lederach, PA
garage-scene.com
It may be a point to consider regarding the rpm that you are experiencing the miss. The surface chart you included begins a ramp up at 1800 rpm. What is the 3rd axis? I see rpm, pressure, and ??

Doober

Jun 2, 2003
Catalina, AZ
www.cardomain.com
The vertical axis is degrees advance. My table looks nothing like that now though. I suppose I could pull timing back and see if it makes a difference, but the fact is still that it was only on a plug or two. If the timing doesn't make a difference I may try a junkyard coil and see what that does. I don't think it makes a difference but the coil is mounted on the firewall sideways... it's a stock style one though, not oil filled.

Doober

Jun 2, 2003
Catalina, AZ
www.cardomain.com
I haven't really messed with this lately as I picked up the Fiero and have been driving that a lot more to help save on gas... I bought the distributor off eBay when I built the engine, but never disassembled it... overall it looked to be in good shape. Any chance the ICM getting hot could possibly cause this?

ravenmetals

Weekend Racer
Oct 14, 2009
College Station,Texas
I had a similar issue with my el camino. Would be driving and around 2000 rpm I would once in a blue moon get a little stumble in rpm. After maybe 6 months I took the car on a 5 hour trip to visit my dad and got a really good backfire(woke me). And after that the car would miss more often around the 2000 rpm mark. I tried to fix it before I drove back home from dad's and out of habit he told be to look at the ignition module. Sure enough no issues but I had a new one in the glove box so I just used it. Never had an issue again. I mean they are cheep and prone to failure.

Doober

Jun 2, 2003
Catalina, AZ
www.cardomain.com
I kinda figured that may be what was happening... I think it may be getting hot. The distributor is a unit I got from eBay, and I just dropped it in. I may try to find a used performance one or one from a junkyard... or just put some new heatsink compound on this one if I can find some.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts