Small Block Turbo On the Street

malibu2slow

Amateur Racer
May 29, 2003
south, jersey
thanks for that bad medicine that was just what i wanted to hear , after the cars actually running and no longer garage art im going to make a build thread

siege

Amateur Racer
Oct 6, 2009
a buddy of mine was running t3/t4 60 trims on his chevy truck the turbo's were way to small for the motor and it was a pretty stock 350 with a tun of miles on it i think his best was 11's and he started at 8 psi and ended at 15 psi the ET's never got any better he just up graded to twin 35r's so we will see how it does.

elreyyakko

Daily Driver
May 6, 2010
the t 3/t4 50-60 trim turbos are good for a 150-350 hp increase, but there main essence is the reduced turbo lag of a larger turbo, i am currantlly going with a 50 trim, although on my wagon yrs back i had a 60 trim, and it was great, no turbo lag, power kicked in at 3000 rpms, and i shifted at 6000 rpms, it didnt stress the motor and it ran 12s all day(remember this was a 307 olds smog motor with the air and everything else connected,full wieght, and no motor work, these motors where rated at 180 hp for the 442 motor in the cutlass, i didnt even have that motor, just the regular 307, so power must have been maybe 160) the wagon ran a best of 15s with the 307 stock with a msd, and performance intake(oldsmobile intakes interchange with big or smallblocks)and a 650carb, stock manifolds and 2 flowmasters 21/2 inch.i got the turbo from a supra and sent it to be made a 60 trim when it developed a problem. the stock t3 t4 was excelent when i mounted it, when i got it back from the shop(in california, i lived in ny at the time)as a 60 trim upgrade and no problems, at the same boost 10 psi, the wagon cocked the left driver side tire...i agree with the above about a bigger turbo for faster times, but if hes just looking for fun and not overstressing parts, i still suggest the t3 t4 50-60 trim....

elreyyakko

Daily Driver
May 6, 2010
on a side note, my cuz in ny, the one that helped me with the wagon, has a 1969 oldsmobile cutlass, its 350 chevy powered and has twin t3/t4 60 trim turbos, the car is completely streetable and is lifting the driver side tire with 15 psi of boost, hes coming out at 6pds and has some kinks to work out, but states hes extremly happy. he has to fix the trans now, and wants to change the convertor to a 3200 3500 stall to come out harder, but is happy.

shoust, i recomend u plan everything out, ive been planning my build for over a year before i started amassing parts and such, if ur patient, u can get good deals on things.
if ur motor is stock, go with a t3/t4 60 trim, 2800-3000 stall convertor regardless of trans, 3.55-3.73 gears,for a cam id suggest a 480-480 cam, (its in the range of the convertor), and a blow through 650 carb(not bigger because ur motor is stock or semi stock,many people over carb there cars, same mistake as overcamming the car)u want velocity in the bowl, not an excess of fuel,(i suggest the carb shop, they can set up the carb for ur motor, and then u mount it and its almost dead on in terms of tuning)as u can see, even with a conservative motor, cam,convertor,gears set up more for street then drag, u should still be able to run 12s or even high 11s at the strip, without breaking the bank, no rollcage(excellent sleeper), and u can keep creature comforts like ac(thats what im doint, cant have a car without ac in puerto rico, its to hot)good luck in ur choice. just remember, the bigger the turbo the higher u have to rev the motor to build boost, with the t3/t4 u start at 2800-3000 rpms to build boost, with a larger turbo it comes in later in the rpm range, its just building heat and setting the stage for broken parts, unless u plan on building a 9 sec car, the t3/t4 hybrids are perfect....no offence to anyone running anything bigger, i just think hes trying to go for something that gives him a quick kick in the pants feel, a bigger turbo wont work for him like he wants...great thread...

siege

Amateur Racer
Oct 6, 2009
elreyyakko said:
on a side note, my cuz in ny, the one that helped me with the wagon, has a 1969 oldsmobile cutlass, its 350 chevy powered and has twin t3/t4 60 trim turbos, the car is completely streetable and is lifting the driver side tire with 15 psi of boost, hes coming out at 6pds and has some kinks to work out, but states hes extremly happy. he has to fix the trans now, and wants to change the convertor to a 3200 3500 stall to come out harder, but is happy.

shoust, i recomend u plan everything out, ive been planning my build for over a year before i started amassing parts and such, if ur patient, u can get good deals on things.
if ur motor is stock, go with a t3/t4 60 trim, 2800-3000 stall convertor regardless of trans, 3.55-3.73 gears,for a cam id suggest a 480-480 cam, (its in the range of the convertor), and a blow through 650 carb(not bigger because ur motor is stock or semi stock,many people over carb there cars, same mistake as overcamming the car)u want velocity in the bowl, not an excess of fuel,(i suggest the carb shop, they can set up the carb for ur motor, and then u mount it and its almost dead on in terms of tuning)as u can see, even with a conservative motor, cam,convertor,gears set up more for street then drag, u should still be able to run 12s or even high 11s at the strip, without breaking the bank, no rollcage(excellent sleeper), and u can keep creature comforts like ac(thats what im doint, cant have a car without ac in puerto rico, its to hot)good luck in ur choice. just remember, the bigger the turbo the higher u have to rev the motor to build boost, with the t3/t4 u start at 2800-3000 rpms to build boost, with a larger turbo it comes in later in the rpm range, its just building heat and setting the stage for broken parts, unless u plan on building a 9 sec car, the t3/t4 hybrids are perfect....no offence to anyone running anything bigger, i just think hes trying to go for something that gives him a quick kick in the pants feel, a bigger turbo wont work for him like he wants...great thread...
i agree with that if you want fast spool and tire shredding fun yes go with the t3/t4 but my buddy is looking to get his time down lol

elreyyakko

Daily Driver
May 6, 2010
i think ultimatlly, thats our problem, we always want more, supersize it ,lol...im trying to restrict myself to my previous agenda, but it gets hard when all u have to do is turn up the boost....lol

Robert1320

Pro Stocker
A single larger frame 75mm on a T-6 with a 1.3xx hotside will spool and make boost around 3000rpm on a 350 cid motor.
This is more than capable of supporting over 750hp.
The biggest things most people don't include in the budget is the good W/G & BOV, fuel system and trans.
Carbs can be done as a DIY follow http://www.hangar18fabrication.com/blowthru.html or contact
us for custom built CSU or C&S carb.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts