Spot Weld Cutter

tiedyemike8

Frequent Racer
Oct 28, 2009
Naperville, IL
A regular 1/4 inch bit works fine if you're careful not to drill through both panels. I've done quite a bit of panel replacement with just a regular bit.

melloelky

Top Fueler
Jul 1, 2009
mass
stick with a blair product they're good i use them all day.get the 3/8's not the 5/16.i find that with the smaller size you may not get it all the first time.i also find that if i hit the weld first with a 1/8"bit real quick just enough to make a small little mark in the weld to stop the bit from walking.i'm not sure how much experience you have with this but the idea is to only drill enough of the weld outta the top panel to seperate the the two leaving the other one without a big hole.hench the reason we use spot cutters.it can be done with a regular bit but it's tricky so i try to steer away from that method.any more ?'s just ask dog :D

RatMalibu

Pro Stocker
May 21, 2003
Rolla, Mo.
www.fidnet.com
Blair is good stuff, when I was in the body shop we always used bits from Wurth which are similar to these at eastwood they are more or less flat with just a little pilot point...the point is what breaks, I've got a few dozen pointless ;) bits in my toolbox....lol

t5montecarlo

MalibuRacing Junkie
Oct 21, 2007
Lederach, PA
garage-scene.com
I see there is a drill-bit style as well as a hole-saw style. The part that is on top, that will be drilled, is the part that I want to keep. Which style do you recommend?

Is it a problem that the part I need to keep will have the holes?

tiedyemike8

Frequent Racer
Oct 28, 2009
Naperville, IL
In that case I would definitely just use a regular drill bit, it will save as much of the top sheet as possible. You will re-use the holes for plug welding when you re-install the panel.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts