springs and shocks

Jason80MC

Weekend Racer
Jun 11, 2012
Marlboro, NJ
Ok, have a 80 Monte carlo, Just put 1" drop springs in front and back and Have KYB gas adjust shocks.
Front all buttoned up real nice, Now the rear, sits good, but when I jack it up and let the rear hang the springs will come off the top perches........ Is this normal? thanks

LS6 Tommy

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 15, 2004
North Jersey
The shocks aren't bolted in at the top? They should be. The shocks are basically what limits the travel of the axle.

Tommy

melloelky

Top Fueler
Jul 1, 2009
mass
do you mean the springs come off when you let the rear end hang down?i put shorter springs in the back and when i let the jack down i can pull the springs out.stock shocks are to long for a shorter spring. if that's what you were getting at.

Jason80MC

Weekend Racer
Jun 11, 2012
Marlboro, NJ
melloelky said:
do you mean the springs come off when you let the rear end hang down?i put shorter springs in the back and when i let the jack down i can pull the springs out.stock shocks are to long for a shorter spring. if that's what you were getting at.

Thats what i meant the springs come out of the perches..............The springs are 1" lowering. So you think I need a shorter shock to keep it all up there. The stock size shock will not change ride height will it?

melloelky

Top Fueler
Jul 1, 2009
mass
Jason80MC said:
melloelky said:

Thats what i meant the springs come out of the perches..............The springs are 1" lowering. So you think I need a shorter shock to keep it all up there. The stock size shock will not change ride height will it?
you can run a shorter shock if your concerned about them falling out with the extra travel with the shorter springs/stock shock combo but unless you live in hazzard county & jump your car like the duke boys in the general lee, when would your axle extend down that far while your driving??running the STOCK shocks will not change the ride height.now,in a coil over application yes it does but that different than what your using.i went through this a few years ago too.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts