springs or shocks (?)

longracing25

Daily Driver
Aug 10, 2015
I installed 295/50 on my 79 malibu. They looked great, SEEMED to fit perfect. Now I noticed they can rub the wheel opening flare. I need to raise maybe 1"-2". I'm a old school hot rodder ( 47yrs to be exat),... I always loved the raked look. I bought a set of "Super Stock" springs once for a 77 olds,... BUT it seems those type of higher lift springs went waaaay bye-bye. I know the tubbed or slammed look is hot....but don't want it (right now). I remember reading something about El Camino springs. Would they raise my malibu? Ii heard the name "cargo" springs too,... i think another name for the el camino. I am somewhat of a newbie,... and I couldn't find the exact answer. It's either new springs or air shocks.

Jrock514

Frequent Racer
Sep 10, 2003
Loxahatchee FL
The elco used leaf springs in the rear, if I'm not mistaken?
I got a set of tall springs for the rear years ago from jc Whitney. Not sure if they still sell um or not but it's worth a shot ;)

LS6 Tommy

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 15, 2004
North Jersey
Jrock514 said:
The elco used leaf springs in the rear, if I'm not mistaken?
I got a set of tall springs for the rear years ago from jc Whitney. Not sure if they still sell um or not but it's worth a shot ;)

Nope. Articulated 4 link and coil springs, same basic design as every A/G body from 64-87...

Tommy

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts