squaring rear end

rb69

Daily Driver
Aug 25, 2007
Iowa
69 chevelle w/ da control arms. I been at it , but not sure I have found a good point to measure off the frame.

Use a plumb bob off lca rear bolts, also used the center line of the axle flange for my rear measurements.
I have used the cross member under the motor & also various holes in the frame rails.

I have measured in a X from the frame holes to frame holes hoping to get equal measurements before tring to square the rear.

What am I missing??

Thanks

racecar77

Pro Stocker
Aug 11, 2007
Crete,IL
I know my way is more time consuming, but I have done it this way since my circle track days. Zero the caster on the front end and drop plumb bobs from the grease fittings on the lower control arms. Mark the floor and snap a chalk line across the two marks. Now drop plumb bobs from the front of the rear axle tubes (as far outward as possible). Snap another line across those two marks. Adjust the rear end until the lines are parallel to each other. When you have it square then set the pinion angle. You have to keep checking because when you move one thing everything changes. It's easy once you've done it a few times. I hope I've explained myself without confusing you. Lee

Note: You don't necessarily have to zero the caster but you have to make darn sure that it is same on both front wheels.

rb69

Daily Driver
Aug 25, 2007
Iowa
racecar77,
Thanks for the help, I haven't tried doing it that way. I try it tonight.

Thanks

gman415

Dragway Regular
May 19, 2009
Chattanooga
It's been awhile so maybe someone will correct me if I'm wrong.
Use the bottoms to get the wheel centered in the wheel well and the wheel base the same on both sides.
After that is set don't touch the lowers.
Go "in" with one and "out" with the other on the uppers to get the rear centered right and left.
Turn both uppers in or out the same amount to set pinion.

racecar77

Pro Stocker
Aug 11, 2007
Crete,IL
gman415 said:
It's been awhile so maybe someone will correct me if I'm wrong.
Use the bottoms to get the wheel centered in the wheel well and the wheel base the same on both sides.
After that is set don't touch the lowers.
Go "in" with one and "out" with the other on the uppers to get the rear centered right and left.
Turn both uppers in or out the same amount to set pinion.

That is correct. I just didn't go that far in the first post. :D Lee

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts