squaring up the rearend

stafford67

Daily Driver
Oct 22, 2014
MWC Oklahoma
I am in the process of putting an 8.8 in my 79 Malibu.

I have adjustable lowers and uppers, my question is how do you all square up the rear with the lower bars.

I'll tell the way I did it and tell me what you think.

I first tried to get equal distance by picking 2 different holes in the frame about 18" in front of the axle.
I turned the lower bars until both sides was equal. Now I checked from 2 different frame holes on both sides and I got it to where it was equal.

But then I was reading on line about using the front lower A-arm grease zerts to measure an X pattern from the LF grease zert to the RR lower control arm bolt on the rearend. Now when I do this LF to RR is 118 1/4" and the RF to LR is 118".
So does this mean the rear is 1/4" out of square?

Just trying to figure out the best way to set this WITHOUT going to a 4 wheel alignment shop.

Thanks
Tony

nillabu

Dragway Regular
May 16, 2008
St. Cloud, Minnesota
I've learned in the past that the GBody frame was assembled and welded alittle out of square from the factory. I can't verify that but from reading tons of posts, that is what is thought and proves true with mine anyway (1/8"-1/4"). When squaring mine, I used the front LCA ball joint zerk holes and squared the axle. I used a 3" long 1/4" fine thread bolt screwed into the zerk hole so I could string a line or tape without interfering with exhaust, etc. I hung a centered and weighted line off each axle flange and went from there. X'd and front to back. On the alignment rack with 0 toe, was spot on, front bead of front wheel to front bead of rear wheel.

Not sure if that's the correct way but seemed to work for me. Good luck.

Steve

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts