Starter help?

84ta406

Amateur Racer
Oct 6, 2008
Worcester, Mass.
Well I was working on the T/A today and when I was finally done I went to go start it. Started cranking and then went dead.. I started checking my fuses, checking my wires, bypassed the NSS and couldn't find anything wrong. I decided to crawl under the car and see if theres anything going on under there.. Well my $250 Powermaster starter took a dump on me. The igntion wire port was hanging out of the starter.

IMG_0317.jpg

IMG_0318.jpg

IMG_0323a.jpg

Now heres my problem... I soldered the wires back together nice and good. Now the starter only works once and it goes to a grinding sound. I can sit there and crank and crank and crank and it'll be fine but once I actually start the car and let it run, when I go to restart it it'll grind. Sounds like its hitting the flexplate but its not. I've alread tried to shim it more and it does the same thing.. One start chump.

Anyone have a clue as to why? Or how to fix the issue? The only mod I did this winter was a MSD 6AL box. I dont think that can cause this issue though. The funny thing is I can unbolt the starter and bolt it back up and it'll be fine again for one start.

Killerdave8813

Dragway Regular
Jan 16, 2008
Cincinnati,Ohio
Hi There,
I'll have to say first off I have no mini starter experience at all but I'm guessing what you're calling the ignition wire is actually the solenoid trigger wire,looks like you have a battery cable terminal and a terminal that engages the starter,my guess it that the starter solenoid is stuck causing the starter to stay engaged which is what caused your terminal to melt out to begin with and your starter is staying engaged causing a bunch of noise and probably more damage to your starter and probably your ring gear on the flywheel/flexplate as well,stuff like this isn't any fun but it is what it is,Good Luck,KillerDave

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts