Stock driveshaft

lastchevelle

Weekend Racer
Dec 14, 2003
Sidney, MT
How much horse will a stock driveshaft handle? Will be hooking up transbrake this year and was thinking maybe should upgrade shaft instead of waiting til it breaks. Anyone running stock shaft w/brake? Thanks.

A

Anonymous

i would spend the money and have one built, i would think it could't be more than 3 or 4 hundred bucks

Bar50

Pro Stocker
Jan 31, 2009
Tulsa, OK
I was looking at driveshafts the other day when I changed the transmission in my Malibu from a 200 Metric to a 350TH. Anyway, I noticed that a TrailBlazer driveshaft is only like 3/8" shorter than the OEM one. Its aluminum. Runs about $50 or so at the junkyards. Same yoke as 350TH. I picked one up. Have not put it in yet.

Might be as strong, if not have less weight/inertia working against it.

Anybody else do this yet? Something tells me the U-joints would fail before the tube/shaft itself.

Brian79

Frequent Racer
Aug 21, 2008
Wataga, IL
I wouldn't go past 400 to the tires. Not to high jack this but what year trailblazer and what is the dia. 3/3.5/4 inch. Let us know the details that sounds like a good swap for us low HP guys ;)

Toner283

Amateur Racer
Aug 23, 2008
Arthur, Ontario, Canada
A new driveshaft built to take the HP & abuse is probably a lot cheaper than replacing/repairing the transmission, rearend, floorboards, exhaust AND a new driveshaft after the old one fails. A friend had one fail in his 'bu and in addition to all of the above being damaged, there was a toolbox sitting on the rear pass side floor & when the driveshaft broke and hit the floor it launched the toolbox through the pass side quarter window, the tinted window flopped down and flopped/rubbed against the side of the car before he got it stopped. That scratched the quarter panel badly 2 months after he had the car painted so he had to repaint the quarter as well as replace the window. I think the total bill when it was up & running again was just shy of $3000. Plus the car was parked for 2 1/2 months while he fixed it. Like most of us, money for the toy car comes after all of the other bills. A new driveshaft is pretty cheap insurance in the long run IMO.

lastchevelle

Weekend Racer
Dec 14, 2003
Sidney, MT
Yeah I figured the general concensus would be to just get a new shaft. I'm looking at the Moser driveshafts. I've had no problems with my Moser rearend. Looks like they go for under $500. Thanks for the replies. Matt

406Elcamino

Frequent Racer
Jan 8, 2006
Im wondering if anyone has any input on factory d-shafts you may find at the autowrecker, This year my car hooked unbelievable and i was just clenching at the light that it would drop and kiss the floorpans :x

bowtie81

Mar 28, 2008
sarnia, ontario canada
i used one from a 81 chev pick up had it cut down and re-balanced and its as good as new

HP JUNKEY

Dragway Regular
Oct 30, 2008
Buffalo.NY
I have a, Heavy Duty Denny's in mine, $350ish plus ship, He also
has a "you break it or twist it, he replaces it for free" guarantee.
Check it out!!!
http://www.dennysdriveshaft.com/

79 surfwagon

Frequent Racer
Jun 26, 2006
Texas
this month's car craft says a stock driveshaft is only rated to 350lb/ft or 350 to 400 hp.

We've probably all put more than that amount of power through a stocker. After reading the above post about the $3k driveshaft failure I am upgrading mine once the 305 is out.

I used a stock driveshaft in my IROC and was putting down WAY over 500lb/ft with a 406 TPI. The 7.5 ring gear broke before the driveshaft. My guess is the driveshaft would have probably went south if the ring gear hadn't.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts