Summit ignition box confusion

cleetus

Amateur Racer
Sep 5, 2006
NJ
I have an HEI with a 4 pin module and am trying to hook up my Summit CD ignition box http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=SUM%2D850600&N=700+115&autoview=sku . The problem I have is that the figures show the 4 pin HEI as having a square connector that the 2 reds and 2 white wires go into, and that is NOT the setup I have.

I have a 3 prong connector that attaches to the c^, ground, and b+ terminals. The 4 prong in the diagram attaches to those 3 as well as the tach and battery. Do I just leave the extra white wire 'loose' and connect the extra red to my current battery slot?

Anyone else use the Summit box or identical Malloy Hyfire VI box with the same type of harness I have? How'd you wire it up?

cleetus

Amateur Racer
Sep 5, 2006
NJ
I called Summit.

Apparently, you need to remove the module and the guts of the distributor, use their harness, and hook it up that way.

It's kind of confusing because the directions come with ways to hook it up with and without the module. I don't know why they would include the 'with the module' directions when the tech said to run it without.

Anyhow, heres to hoping that the info I got from the guy works.... 8-[

If you are interested in looking at the directions and pictures anyway to see what I'm talking about, http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=SUM%2D850600&N=700+115&autoview=sku

then scroll to the bottom and click on the directions.

barnym17

Dragway Regular
Jan 6, 2008
ohio
You can trigger it with or without the module. With the modulr unplug the 3 wire connector from the cap.12 volt power wire to the wire which was on the battery side of the cap, center wire ground. wire from tach side of cap hooks to the white triger wire . small red from box can tie into the 12 volt source goining into the dist. harness(hot with key on). Large red and blacks directly to battery. Small black to cap tach terminal, orange to batt terminal on cap. good to go.

cleetus

Amateur Racer
Sep 5, 2006
NJ
Thanks for the reply. I had a distributor set up for an MSD box just lying around. So I used that instead, and kept my HEI all together in case things go bad.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts