Teach me 12inch brakes

HarrisonTX

Top Fueler
Jul 11, 2003
Burleson TX
I was reading on here, and car craft.com (project malibu) about brake upgrades.
Heres the link
http://www.carcraft.com/techarticles/57098/index.html
CarCraft strongly reccomended hotchkis upper control arms.
How do yall feel about that?
This is CC words

"Since we’re going to a taller spindle to house the huge 12-inch 1LE brakes, the new arm corrects the altered geometry to improve negative camber and increase caster for more stability."
also
"You should also go with a set of aftermarket upper control arms like those from Hotchkis Performance or else you’ll end up with way too much camber"

Im also running 15X4 rally wheels, do you think the brakes would fit inside there? The CC article also said they had to switch to bigger wheels.
All thats needed is calipers, rotors, and spindles?
Thats it?

Thanks guy

Pushrod

Frequent Racer
May 22, 2003
Joliet IL.
I think they were runnin stock 14's to start

Duts87ss

Amateur Racer
Apr 8, 2005
Ocean Springs, MS
Since you're running only a 4" wide wheel in the front, I take it that you're not into carving corners. Email Ed Miller ([email protected]) for info on his LS1 or C5 brake kit for G-bodies; these kits will save a little weight off the B-spindle swap also. I would first make sure that your front tire will be able to handle the extra braking force.

A

Anonymous

just a fyi on the C5 brakes, mine barely fit inside my 17" wheels, and i believe on the LS1 you may have to run 16" wheels or do some grinding on the calipers to clear. i woul highly recommend the C5 or LS1 over the B-body 12" brakes, alot newer technology and no screwing up your steering geometry

Duts87ss

Amateur Racer
Apr 8, 2005
Ocean Springs, MS
Forgot all about the possibility of clearance issues. If you can get me some measurements of the inside of the wheels you're using, I'll try to make a template to mount on my car and check for clearance.

LS6 Tommy

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 15, 2004
North Jersey
78monte454 said:
i woul highly recommend the C5 or LS1 over the B-body 12" brakes, alot newer technology and no screwing up your steering geometry

The geometry is fine. All that's required is a proper alignment done to GW's/ Hotchkiss' specs.

Tommy

DeltaT

Dragway Regular
Oct 28, 2003
Nor Cal
You need a 16" wheel for the 1LE brakes. Select 15" wheels might fit with clearancing done on the calipers, but not shallow rally wheels.

I did a lot of checking on this before I went with the big brakes, and upgraded to 16" wheels. The only 15" ones I've ever seen work were 3-piece modular wheels with an unusual amount of clearance near the rim center.

Jim

Autometer

Dragway Regular
Oct 29, 2003
Houston/Texas
www.addisonracing.com
With the 1LE swap, you will have to add 1/2 more backspacing to your front wheels. I found that out the hard way. I was running 14s and bought a set of 16s for the swap. I had to send two wheels back to get the correct BS. I ran 15x7 ralleys meanwhile with no problems.

I'm going to do the C5 swap. I bought the brackets to use with my existing B-body spindles.

Alot of brake topics coming up lately. May have to create forum just for brakes. :)

HarrisonTX

Top Fueler
Jul 11, 2003
Burleson TX
Autometer, can i run a spacer or something?
If not, theres no way i can do it with my current wheels?

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts