Thinking about replacing my 7.5 with a 9in

383 malibu

Daily Driver
Jan 10, 2010
Anna, Ohio
I have a 10 bolt 7.5 rearend I am thinking about putting in a ford 9in. If I put a 9in in I will notch my frame rails and minitub the car. What is the best way to go about doing this. It looks like I can buy a bolt in housing from several different companies for around $400. I also know somebody that has a 9inch that is the correct is a 1/2 short in width and has weld on kit for g-body and they want $200 for it. However, I am thinking that I will need a jig to weld it up correctly and I will have to modify the axle tubes and buy or respline the axle shafts because the ford center section is offset different than the chevy? How much would an axle shop charge to modify a 9inch to fit a g-body if I supplied the core. Because I would like to reuse my friends center section and gears and possibly the axle shafts. I am trying to do the switch as cheap as possible any advice would be appreciated. Is there any 9inch conversion how to out there?

Supe

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 21, 2003
Charlotte, NC
With the money you spend in the fixturing and parts to do it right, you're better off just buying a housing and axle package from Quick Performance.

Brian79

Frequent Racer
Aug 21, 2008
Wataga, IL
X2, I was looking at raciningjunk.com and saw a complete third member,31 spline spool w/4:56 for $200. If you are looking for one.

383 malibu

Daily Driver
Jan 10, 2010
Anna, Ohio
I was looking on ebay there is are a couple people selling nascar rearend parts. I can get a Ford 9" 31 spline "H" case detroit locker for $100 but it requries an aftermarket case or I can buy and H locker and strange case and and an detroit locker for $350. Is that all have to do if I buy an H case locker? Has any body bought one of these units off ebay? I would like to put a posi in the car because it is going to be street driven.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts