thinking of turboing the old bu

Robert1320

Pro Stocker
The 13204 can handle more hp with the A1000 but if you plan making more or upgrading later (who has enough power) the 12302 is a better fit and can be mod'd to work better with the A1000.

Motor
IF a 5.850" rod will clear the crank yes. I would do the swap and upgrade to ARP 2000 or better bolts. This will allow for a much better ring stack. Don't forget you need good pins also. Good pistons custom piston like BRC don't cost much more than other 2618's OTS.

Turbo
A large single is fine. Some guys can not figure out a motor with two banks can spool a single turbo so they have to go twins... lol (j/k) The will have half as many parts. Do the single. DO NOT DO A T-4.
A T-6 1.32 S480 or similar will be fine. JGS BOV and W/G would be fine.

Trans
If it is a track only car the glide would be fine. If it will see street time the TH400 is bonus the extra gear adds to the driveability. Plus the TH350 conv will fit the TH400.

What are you doing for header?

78elcamino

Dragway Regular
Dec 16, 2004
spokane wa
at first I was looking at the ebay crap then read about how bad they are and siege was telling me about a few places that sell weld up kits so I am thinking of buying that kit and giving it a go and see, unless you have some other idea??? the th400 is a better route, I do want to drive this car abit, not a DD by anymeans but a few shows ect. Also right now my ign is a msd dig 6, msd dist, and blaster 2 coil. is the box good enough? and also I have a mulistage retard but was figuring I would need somthen they made just for boost? I have read that the home made blow through carbs work ok but some say no is it worth just spending the money on a csu ect the first time and be done with it?

siege

Amateur Racer
Oct 6, 2009
Turbo
A large single is fine. Some guys can not figure out a motor with two banks can spool a single turbo so they have to go twins... lol (j/k) The will have half as many parts. Do the single. DO NOT DO A T-4.

Hey now whats wrong with twins haha i do know there is no real benefit to twins that i know of i am still learning the hole turbo v8 thing my self i have a little knowledge but need a hole lot more.

Robert1320

Pro Stocker
siege said:
Turbo

Hey now whats wrong with twins haha i do know there is no real benefit to twins that i know of i am still learning the hole turbo v8 thing my self i have a little knowledge but need a hole lot more.

Properly sized twins vs a single should be very little. The twins may have a small advantage on spooling do to the small wheel mass. The single requires less overall pieces to complete and has move stability due to the larger wheel.

At a point twins do become the correct choice, if you looking for 2000+hp twins and have large cid motor twins can be cheaper and better performing and offer lower P/R's.

Making informed decisions based upon your desired hp, performance, goal, class, motor, etc..... All these come into play when choicing your parts.
78elcamino said:
at first I was looking at the ebay crap then read about how bad they are and siege was telling me about a few places that sell weld up kits so I am thinking of buying that kit and giving it a go and see, unless you have some other idea??? the th400 is a better route, I do want to drive this car abit, not a DD by anymeans but a few shows ect. Also right now my ign is a msd dig 6, msd dist, and blaster 2 coil. is the box good enough? and also I have a mulistage retard but was figuring I would need somthen they made just for boost? I have read that the home made blow through carbs work ok but some say no is it worth just spending the money on a csu ect the first time and be done with it?

We offer a header kit many different motors. The SBC kiit have 1/2" M/S flanges, 16ga M/S (not aluminized) tubing, collectors, v-bands & flanges $355.

Any street you plan for the car the TH 400 will be bonus and we have several guys running 8's with TH 400. Plan on getting a t-brake.

Any MSD 6 is good to about 1k hp. The 6 doesn't offer the tuneability of a 7531 but it is a good start. REMEMBER, aways remove the ignition from car before wleding. Don't just disconnect REMOVE it.

Many guys start off by doing the home brewed Hanger 18 mods and get the car running. Then order a CSU or C&S to gain tuning anf performance.

Don't forget the car should not start with a W/B O2 sensor. NKG or PLX make some nice pieces.

Attachments

• 000_0010.jpg
    000_0010.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 2,161

siege

Amateur Racer
Oct 6, 2009
hey Robert i am assuming that that is a pic of your weld up header kits what do your big block chevy kits run

siege

Amateur Racer
Oct 6, 2009
Sounds like good customer service to me it is a pain to try and talk to some one that is trying to get to the next guy.

blue t

Amateur Racer
Dec 14, 2008
birmingham alabama
Robert why do you always suggest a t6? In this case wouldnt some thing like a 76gts be better suited and much more street friendly. Also as far as gears go I would run 3.08 or 3.23 trust me when I say you wont need any more than this. Plus with the engine you have they will keep the rpm's down if you run 1/4 mile. You can and I would go L/A in the intercooler and you can do this and keep room for a passenger.

Attachments

• IMG00043-20100602-2025.jpg
    IMG00043-20100602-2025.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 1,242

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts