THM350 to 200r4 conversion

nillabu

Dragway Regular
May 16, 2008
St. Cloud, Minnesota
Plan on doing a swap to a 200r4 from a 350. I've got the length, crossmember, wiring and driveshaft issues understood. I have a column shift and would like to retain it after the swap. What will I need to swap or change in the column and linkage to make it correct? Please direct me to a forum on the column issues if one exists. Am considering a trans and converter combination from Bowtie Overdrives. Appreciate your help.

A

Anonymous

There is no issue with the length, just where it mounts on the crossmember (you'll need a new crossmember or fab one).

There is no issue with the driveshaft, use the same one, same length.

There is no issue with the linkage, other than you won't have a O-Drive indicator on the dash. You will have enough range to shift all gears, and it will hook up with all the 350T linkage.

The only issues in the swap are the crossmember/mount and the wiring for lockup.

nillabu

Dragway Regular
May 16, 2008
St. Cloud, Minnesota
Thanks! I made a new crossmember several years ago and boxed both frame rails so I'd be able to mount any of the GM transmissions. Your saying I'll have enough travel without changing the indicator collar on the column? That'd be cool. There must have been some GBodies manufactered w/ODrive columns. Any suggestions on doner cars to look for. It might not be a large deal but was intrested in the ODrive indicator also. How about the cooler lines? Do the 350 lines come close enough to work with the 200R4? Thanks for the great info!! Sorry for the large picture 8-[

DCP_2775.jpg

A

Anonymous

Cooler lines will work.
The columns are the same, the only thing that is different is the indicator/pointer in the guage cluster.

If you have a Monte, you should be able to find an OD indicator to put in it (seen them on Ebay). If you have a malibu, then I can't say. Some later Monte's did come with the 200r4, at least the SS did. Malibus never did, I don't think, but might be wrong on that. El Caminos did in later years as well, I believe.

But the column and linkage will work fine. You might could get a decal person to make a decal to go over the stock letters if you could measure it and give them the info. I just don't pay attention to my pointer.

And that frame/drivetrain looks great.

nillabu

Dragway Regular
May 16, 2008
St. Cloud, Minnesota
](*,) Ha, you're right, the indicator is in the cluster. It hasn't been in the car for so long I forgot. I was thinking it was on the column collar. I seem to remember now seeing the indicator on Ebay. I'll have to do a search. Thanks for the kind words. It's been in process for way too many years.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!