to strip or not

Z-man

Dragway Regular
Aug 12, 2006
Barnesville MN/ Fargo ND
What kind of paint is on our cars, laquer or enamel? BTW 78 malibu factory paint.

melloelky

Top Fueler
Jul 1, 2009
mass
Z-man said:
What kind of paint is on our cars, laquer or enamel? BTW 78 malibu factory paint.
it's a crap shoot at best.either way,neither ones a good foundation to start.i'm a fan of starting from scratch.foundation foundation foundation!

kuruption109

Dragway Regular
Sep 14, 2009
highland, ca
thats what im doin bare metAl

Z-man

Dragway Regular
Aug 12, 2006
Barnesville MN/ Fargo ND
Ribbedroof said:
Acrylic lacquer...and it needs to come off if you're going to do it right/it's a keeper
Yeah...I was afraid of that. #-o

westexun

Frequent Racer
Dec 27, 2008
Sounds like you're worried about lifting issues with basecoat over the old finish. I chemical stripped all the flat panels on my car and blasted in the jambs. It wasn't practical to strip the underside of the deck lid so I scrubbed it with red scotchbrite and comet then used a thinned down epoxy primer as a sealer and painted base-clear over that. So far, I haven't had any lifting issues with the epoxy on the solid old paint. They say laquer really never drys so it's not the best foundation for a nice paint job, but you'll be ok to seal the jambs if you don't want to take it off, sandblasting is a real mess. If you use the chemical be sure and tape up the seams, don't want the stuff leaking out from between the metal after you've got paint on it. Those black 3m waffle wheels will also make short work of the old paint.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts