Truck oil pan question?

87SS-ZZ3

Frequent Racer
Oct 9, 2004
Pantego, NC
This may have been covered already, but I didn't find anything when I looked. I know the truck pan is to deep. Has anyone tried to shorten the sump. Say, cut out a section an TIG weld it back together. I don't have a pan to try this on (yet), but might be an alternative to buying another pan. Would also need to shorten the oil pickup too. What ya'll got? Anybody want to buy an aluminiun headed big block ;)

blubaldmontess

Dragway Regular
Oct 3, 2005
Clarksville, TN
Actually if you look at my post on here, I'm running the truck pan still, til I can get some money to get the CTSV stuff, it works fine, just have to watch it on big dips and bumps. You may also want to look into this while your doing all the other stuff, its an engine lifesaver: http://www.brphotrods.com/Girdle.html

Good luck

mean78malibu

Dragway Regular
Mar 15, 2008
Pittsburgh, PA and Philly Area
I built a turbo nissan 300zx before and used two oil pans (one had a hole in the side and the other had a crushed sump) and plasma cut then welded the bottom to the other pan. worked out perfectly after powdercoating it. Only problem is, in your situation, you need to shorten the pickup also, if you could TIG it and reinforce it, I don't see why it wouldn't be a nice workaround from buying a CTS pan.

StreetBu

MalibuRacing Junkie
Mar 21, 2004
Upstate NY
Yes you can do that and it's been done before. the problem comes with the pickup tube from what I remember. It's hard to weld and know for SURE its PERFECT and located properly. Are you willing to take that chance? Take a look around on the net. I found a dealer that was selling brand new in the box CTSV pans, with pickups for $145 plus shipping. Much cheaper than any one else. Well worth it IMO. See ya

87SS-ZZ3

Frequent Racer
Oct 9, 2004
Pantego, NC
I have some of the best tig welders in the area as friends. All I have to do is say the word and it's done, or I could do it myself. I'm not that good though. As for the pickup, that didn't bother me. I like the CTS-V pan, but free welding or $200 for a pan and pickup, I'll try it. It looks like the truck pan has more clearance around the crossmember than the ctsv anyway. I have had deep pans before, and I'm not going to do that again even if it looks fine, the pan will hit something! I destroyed a Moroso pan in my own driveway. Thanks for the help. I just need to find the funds and get going. I've got a 6.0, but it needs rebuilding.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts