Vortec head sealing issues

A

Anonymous

Has anyone had or heard of any problems with intake sealing to the heads when using Vortecs? I believe I have a vacume leak and think I have a sealing problem. Any info would be a great help.

bowtie81

Mar 28, 2008
sarnia, ontario canada
how did you torque the intake down and how much? was it used, did you use any silicone on the front and rear of the block? spray starting fluid around the intake, if the engine revs up you have a leak. Whats it doing by the way

A

Anonymous

It is sealed front and rear with silicon and torqued to the correct specs in the proper order. I did get the intake used and didn't check the flatness of the surface before I installed it. I'm having trouble with the vacume advance on the distributor. I have installed a new one and the engine won't advance the timing when its suppose to. I figure I got a leak somewhere and with the heads it was the most obvious place. I read someplace that if you didn't use a specific gasket there might be sealing problems with these heads. Any help would be good.

bowtie81

Mar 28, 2008
sarnia, ontario canada
get a vacuum pump on the vacuum advance unit see if it hold pressure, check which springs you have in the distributor. do you remember which gaskets you used? what did you torque the heads to? did you install a new cam? how did you set the lifters?

A

Anonymous

they are notorious for not sealing right. My brand new gm performance intake leaked at the drivers rear water passage when first put on. fel-1255 intake gaskets are supposed to help with the leaks

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts