Wagon Rear Bumper Fillers?

Longroof79

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 10, 2004
Gainesville, Fla.
bukweet said:
Jack,

That work is outstanding my friend.
I passed on a factory 4 speed wagon because to fix a windshield rust issue it would take an A post (from the cowl) to B post roof section. :shock:
WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY more work than I wanted.
Now I see I could have just sent it to you to be fixed!

8) bukweet

Hi Charlie,
Happy New Year, my friend. Thank you for the compliments.. :oops:
Was the 4-spd wagon a local find? Sounds like the rust traveled a bit on that one. I have already repaired some rust in one A-pillar and windshield frame. I also had to put a small patch in the roof.
How was the car overall?
Thank you for posting the link on the bumper fillers. That certainly gives Scott another option. A less invasive one at that..

Jack

Longroof79

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 10, 2004
Gainesville, Fla.
Wagon Master said:
REAR BUMPER FILLERS........all three pieces.

Near the bottom of this page: http://www.replica-plastics.com/EditPar ... =Chevrolet

Excellent! Thanks for the link (and I do care). I haven't talked to my body guy yet about tucking the bumpers, but this gives me the option to keeping them the way they are if he doesn't want to attempt it and if having them re-cromed will be out of my budget.

Scott

Scott,
That might be a more viable option for you. Certainly alot less work than cutting and sectioning bumpers...and deciding whether to paint or chrome them. Trust me, I spent alot of hours cutting, grinding, welding... and more cutting and welding.

Last edited by a moderator:

melloelky

Top Fueler
Jul 1, 2009
mass
i was getting rid of the chrome on my el camino anyhow but still it was a lot of work narrowing it..its totally worth it in my opinion. i can't imagine the cost to rechrome it though. #-o

Longroof79

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 10, 2004
Gainesville, Fla.
melloelky said:
i was getting rid of the chrome on my el camino anyhow but still it was a lot of work narrowing it..its totally worth it in my opinion. i can't imagine the cost to rechrome it though. #-o
Oh, so you did do the bumpers on your Elky. Could you post a pic of your car with the bumpers done? I agree, it's alot of work, but well worth it. I like the way it looks and don't regret it for a minute.
Have you checked out the chrome paint process? I'll tell you, it's very impressive stuff. I may consider it yet.. ;)

Wagon Master

Amateur Racer
Feb 16, 2012
New Jersey
That might be a more viable option for you. Certainly alot less work than cutting and sectioning bumpers...and deciding whether to paint or chrome them. Trust me, I spent alot of hours cutting, grinding, welding... and more cutting and welding.

Well, I finally got around to talk to my body guy and it looks like I'll be getting the bumper fillers (thanks to Charile!). He says it's someting that he hasn't done before and is not sure how it will come out or how long it will take, plus he doesn't even know of a local chome shop anymore as the local and EPA rules has pretty much put them out of business in NJ.

So as much as I love the look of the tucked bumpers, I'm going to take the easy (and cheaper) way out. Maybe I'll do it sometime in the future when my bank account recovers after this project.

Thanks guys. I really appreicate all the help and suggestions!

Scott

Longroof79

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 10, 2004
Gainesville, Fla.
Scott,
I think you made the right decision. Like you said, it could always be done at a later time. Besides, cutting, welding,grinding and fitting the bumpers is a time consuming job. . Not to talk you out of it, but your car will be road ready alot sooner with just replacing the fillers.
Good luck man! Post some pics after the car is painted.

Wagon Master

Amateur Racer
Feb 16, 2012
New Jersey
Yea, I think I did make the right decision. I've been working on this wagon for quite a while and it hasn't seen the road for years. I'm starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel and am anxious to finally get it on the road this spring. I'll post some pictures when I get it home.

Thanks again,
Scott

melloelky

Top Fueler
Jul 1, 2009
mass
Longroof79 said:
melloelky said:
Oh, so you did do the bumpers on your Elky. Could you post a pic of your car with the bumpers done? I agree, it's alot of work, but well worth it. I like the way it looks and don't regret it for a minute.
Have you checked out the chrome paint process? I'll tell you, it's very impressive stuff. I may consider it yet.. ;)
i don't have any pictures of it with the bumpers on..i only brought the bumper in an inch on each side.i still got the fillers,i trimmed them down a bit.it looks a lot cleaner.i frenched the plate in the bumper too.the rear bumper i filled the bumper bolts too.i only narrowed the front bumper,the rear on the elky seemed pretty close to the 1/4's to start out,you almost can't see those fillers on the car to start,they look like an after thought to me.
001-1.jpg

Wagon Master

Amateur Racer
Feb 16, 2012
New Jersey
The frenched front plate looks great! I also see you filled in the emblem area on the header panel. I had the body shop fill mine in too.

Longroof79

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 10, 2004
Gainesville, Fla.
Very nice work. On an Elky, the rear bumper probably doesn't need to be narrowed that much, if any, considering it has the lower protrusions in the quarter panels.
I like the frenched license plate pocket up front. Fortunately, down here we don't use a front tag. I have originally thought of frenching the rear license plate pocket in the bumper, but there's really not alot of meat around that area of the rear bumper.
The rear bumper with the flush welded bolts looks a heck of a lot better than those ugly heads sticking out. And again, worth the extra work.
I think it will look great with the trimmed down fillers. NILABU (Steve) did an awesome job on his. He also retained the fillers, and trimmed the bumpers marginally.
I'm looking forward to seeing the bumpers on your car...I'm sure you are too. :lol:

Incidently, I also filled in the emblem hole on the ('81) header panel. Looks way better in my opinion.
MVC-862S.jpg

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!