What EFI system is required to work with my cam?

Doober

Jun 2, 2003
Catalina, AZ
www.cardomain.com
I've tossed around the idea of EFI, and I was curious what type of system (if any) it would take to work with the cam I have. It's a Comp XE268H (224º/230º, .477"/.480", 110º LSA). It's just an idea I've had and if I can get a setup for a decent price, it'll hold me over 'til I make the LS plunge.

J@meson

Weekend Racer
Mar 15, 2008
Elizabeth City, NC
im a firm believer in the LT1 intake modified for a Std dizzy and megasquirt. Flows mad amount of air, is cheap to do, and i dont know why more people dont do so.

J@meson

Weekend Racer
Mar 15, 2008
Elizabeth City, NC
but by running megasquirt you can tune out the knock sensor or tune it to your cam to adviod that over a custom prom being needed. plus it eliminates unnescesary wiring.

jrdrag

Amateur Racer
Feb 8, 2007
Rochester, NY
I am a adamantly opposed of the LT1 intake conversion. I did one and it was nothing but a waste. There simply isn't enough material there to re-drill the holes. Because MegaSquirt is based on MAP sensor, and an averaging factor can be used there is no issue with most cams. You can read about it many places on the MegaSquirt forums.

I would recommend that you go with a TBI or TBI setup off of a 350CI engine. TPI came on camaros and TBI could come off of a truck. Both of those can be had fairly cheap and the MS will run about $300. It could also be done with a factory ECM that has had the internal code modified. Info on this can be found across the web as well.

Doober

Jun 2, 2003
Catalina, AZ
www.cardomain.com
I've been doing some reading at http://www.DIYAutotune.com on using factory EFI components in conjunction with the MegaSquirt controller, I agree it's quite awesome. I believe I still have an old 350 throttle body (the motor in the 'Bu is originally an '88 TBI motor) sitting in the barn I could have bored & rebuild it (probably up the injector rate & add an adj. pressure regulator here) and stick it on a TBI intake for Vortec heads (only one I've found is a GMPP one, at $380 :shock:). Like I said before one of my primary concerns was the LSA of the cam & the effect it would have on the MAP sensor, I'm e-mailing the DIY guys about that one currently. One of the other things I like about it is the fact of being able to tune it, where a PROM would need to be burned with a stock TBI computer (saw the piggyback for it, still have to read up on that though).

As far as the MS setup so far it's looking like I would probably go with an MS2 v 3.0, just so I could have room to grow if I wanted to (i.e. one day putting it on an LS motor). Thing is I may wind up putting as much into this project as I would a complete system ($600 for computer + extra parts, $380 intake, $??? throttle body, $140+ for lines, $190 sending unit, $50 used/$200+ new gas tank, etc.). Wow, now that I've added that up I don't think I want to do it :lol: :cry: I just don't think I have that kinda $, though I could maybe create a dead-head system and just run an external pump and save at least $250-300...

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts