what power level requires drag radials/slicks

79 surfwagon

Frequent Racer
Jun 26, 2006
Texas
at what power level or ET does the car require drag radials or slicks to be consistent. Right now I'm running ground pounding 17.70's \:D/ , so my regular street tires are working fine and not spinning but maybe a fraction on launch. When will i need to get an extra set of wheels with slicks or DRs to keep consistent?

My Dad has a caballero and today was his first time at the track. This car is STACKED with a 406, ported heads, solid roller, 3.73, 3k stall, adjustable upper control arms... he did no burnout with his BFG 225/60 R15. He spun all the way through the 1/8th mile and finally got traction to run a 16.10 at 102mph.

The caballero obviously needs something better than a street tire. Do you guys know about what power level or ET estimate it starts becoming crucial to bring an extra set of tires to the track for consistent launches?

Thanks in advance

DOUG213XRJ

MalibuRacing Junkie
Sep 18, 2006
West, MI
Drag radials/slicks will lower the ET of any car no matter if its a 9 second car or a 20 second car.

79 surfwagon

Frequent Racer
Jun 26, 2006
Texas
okay. I'll get a set to bolt on and we'll make it an experiment. I'll need them for sure eventually, right? 8)

knievel

Amateur Racer
Aug 5, 2007
Hillsdale , MI
DOUG213XRJ said:
Drag radials/slicks will lower the ET of any car no matter if its a 9 second car or a 20 second car.

This is FALSE

The only way a drag radial is going to help a car that doesn't spin is by putting a different size on that helps change the gear ratio....

Slicks could actually slow a car down due to greater rolling resistance

malibulvr

Pro Stocker
Mar 22, 2008
Pensacola, Fl. 32526
knievel said:
DOUG213XRJ said:

This is FALSE

The only way a drag radial is going to help a car that doesn't spin is by putting a different size on that helps change the gear ratio....

Slicks could actually slow a car down due to greater rolling resistance

X2!!!!

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts