wheel spacers? bad idea?

rjleiker

Amateur Racer
Sep 24, 2008
Derby, KS
I am running a stock 7.5" with 2.73's and a Powertrax Locker on an '83 cutlass with 275/60R15 with American Racing Outlaw II wheels. I got me some traction problems like mad right off idle, which I thoroughly enjoy, but when I try to go sideways, purely for the thrill, the sidewalls flex and the tires rub tons on the frame rail and slow themselves down enough to make it a really unenjoyable experience. I have just under 1/2" from tire to frame rail which is probably way to little.

Anyway, I don't want to notch the frame rail and am really ok with my wheels for now. I may be switching to a shorter sidewall sometime soon, but was considering some thin wheel spacers to just push the wheel out a hair so the tires don't drag anymore. I have heard many times that wheel spacers are a bad idea for racing and so I am leary about it. All I would be adding would be the plate spacers, no full hub extentions. Would this be ok? If I do this, should I spend the extra cash and get good brand, or just go with the cheap brand. This car is mostly a street machine, but is taken to the track relatively often. Also, when I drive it on the street, I usually push it pretty hard on a regular basis and is eventually planned to be a cornering car as well. I don't want to tear it up too much, but let's face it, parts are easy to find. It will also be a manual transmission come February, so that may affect that wimpy rear end too. Any advice would be great. Thanks.

rjleiker

Amateur Racer
Sep 24, 2008
Derby, KS
I'm already running 35 psi in the rear

Supe

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 21, 2003
Charlotte, NC
1/2" and it rubs with 35psi? Are the rims 8"? If so, have you checked your rear bushings? They may be shot, and the whole housing shifting.

rjleiker

Amateur Racer
Sep 24, 2008
Derby, KS
it may be close to 3/8"... and yes, they are 15 x 8" rims. not sure about the backspacing, they're just your off the shelf Outlaw II.
I am yet to check the rear bushings... they may be giving out. I have air adjust shocks in the rear that I run usually all the way up, so I imagine that has a lot to do with the roll and lateral instability.

crd89stang

Dragway Regular
Jun 19, 2005
attleboro ma
on my car one side would rub i had to use a small spacer make sure studs are long enough. is it from excessive body roll? use seperate lines on shocks so air doesnt switch sides while turning . you will never get it to hook on air shocks

rjleiker

Amateur Racer
Sep 24, 2008
Derby, KS
wow, I never even thought about the air switching sides... that would almost exaggerate whatever body roll is already present... good call...

Ya, traction will come in time... the money isn't even beginning to being focused on the suspension. It's just a toy for now. I only put air shocks on because, when I put V8 springs in, because the V6 springs wouldn't hold it up over bumps, it caused the front end to raise way up in the air, so I had to compensate so it wouldn't look awkward. I'll be putting 2" drop spindles in in February, so the air shocks will come out as soon as the front end gets back where it's supposed to be.

It seems as though wheel spacers are common practice around here with this tire size, as long as the car isn't pushing crazy HP and slicks... That was my main concern initially.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!