Who has B-Body spindles & 12" brakes????

LS6 Tommy

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 15, 2004
North Jersey
ALL g-bodies have pretty bad bump steer. The B-body spindle DOES make it a little worse, but generally only "9/10ths" drivers or people who have been told about it complain. Most people never notice how bad the stock setup is, but when they're informed about the minor increase with the B-body spindles they realize it for the first time. It's not that it's so much worse, it's that they never payed any attention before. 1LE rotors & 12" B-body rotors are the same except for the bolt circle. Pickup truck or late 70's Camaro calipers that use D52 pads are the ticket.

Tommy

RatMalibu

Pro Stocker
May 21, 2003
Rolla, Mo.
www.fidnet.com
iirc the 1LE rotors are 1.10" thick and the B-bodies are all 1.25" thick....the parts store catalog will have the dimensions for sure though...I've misplaced my Delco brake catalog :-/

LS6 Tommy

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 15, 2004
North Jersey
RatMalibu said:
iirc the 1LE rotors are 1.10" thick and the B-bodies are all 1.25" thick....the parts store catalog will have the dimensions for sure though...I've misplaced my Delco brake catalog :-/

You may be thinking of 67-70 B-body rotors. They have a different rotor than the ones used on the later years. It's 5 on 4.75" bolt pattern, 11.77" diameter, 1.25" thick. The rotors used on 78-92 12" brake B-bodies were 5 on 5", 11.88" diameter, 1.10" thick, just like 1LE rotors except for the bolt pattern.

78+ B-body 12" discs are the same, just the bolt pattern is different. Some early units had a smaller outer bearing. We need the larger bearing model. The '82-'92 12" B-body caliper is the same caliper (& pad) as the late model Camaro calipers that are used in the conversion.

Tommy

Eldogg

Daily Driver
Oct 10, 2007
Gainesville, GA
I also have the Hotchkis upper a arm tall spindle conversion. I would do the S-10 blazer spindle/C5 corvette brake swap if I were to do it again today. I also did mine almost 10 years ago. Bumpsteer is not as bad as everyone makes it out to be or I'm not a good enough driver to realize it.

motorhead

Amateur Racer
Dec 19, 2003
Ottawa, Ontario Canada
I've got the B-body set up on my Turbo T, it was made available by Robert Adams (c. 2002) as a kit 10 years ago before other affordable options were developed.

My car uses UB Machine UCAs (with the Mopar truck screw-in ball joint), reamed spindles, 1LE rotors, the mid-80s B-body caliper (going to move up to the Howe dual piston replacements soon) and Hawk HP+ pads.

I am also a firm believer that 99% of the people who have experienced bumpsteer aren't aware of it, nor have they experienced it at a time when it might have an adverse impact on performance driving.

nillabu

Dragway Regular
May 16, 2008
St. Cloud, Minnesota

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts