who is running a spool??

onefastermonte85

Pro Stocker
Jun 23, 2005
erie,pa
What is your take on a spool for a street strip car?
Would you go with a spool or a locker?
Its a ford 9'' with 31 spline axles.
Thanks

A

Anonymous

im running 9" 31 spline with mini spool i doubt it will last long and i heard i could tear axles out along with it.

slimbo

May 21, 2007
www.yellowbullet.com
35 spline spool in a 9 inch. Works great. Drives fine.

onefastermonte85

Pro Stocker
Jun 23, 2005
erie,pa
so i should go with a 35spline setup. Everyone is telling me to do so.
Other then the spool itself what else would i have to change to allow 35 spline axles to fit?

I'm just worried about the street, but i dont drive the car that often anyhow.

Malibu355

Pro Stocker
Feb 21, 2009
La Marque, Texas
IMO if you are using good axles I don't think you should worry just dont nail it in a turn lol . I'm planning on running a full spool when I can afford to get the whole rearend done.

slimbo

May 21, 2007
www.yellowbullet.com
Just the axles and the spool to go 35 spline

onefastermonte85

Pro Stocker
Jun 23, 2005
erie,pa
My case needs to have at least a 3.250 bore to allow a 35 spline spool in her.
I emailed currie and i'm hoping they say it should work, but we'll see. They dont like to tell me any tech information whenever i ask them, I'm not sure why.

360demonRT

Frequent Racer
Jul 13, 2008
central Ky
thread jack/

i have a stock 28spline 9" and open carrier. this car will see alot of street time but most of it cruising town or to the track. i would like to run a minispool.... i dont have the money for a locker but would like to get this rear in my car because i'm runnin the 7.5 pegleg right now. minispool, stock axles, street driven. bad idea? also how strong are the stock axles (75 model)? thanks.

also, car will be on either a bias ply ETstreet (trip to the track) or regular street radials (street....)
end jack/

onefastermonte85

Pro Stocker
Jun 23, 2005
erie,pa
a gentleman on http://www.eriestreetmachines.com wrote this:

[quote name='507olds' date='Apr 28 2009, 07:42 AM' post='38562']
A Detroit Locker is the best unit you can have.They are a coupler style unit,& are superior to any other type of posi unit.The only thing better at the track would be a spool.Some people don't mind a spool on the street,but some do.A spool will chirp your tires while cornering,& wear them down a little faster.
A Tru-Trac unit is better suited for a pro-touring style car,that has a lot of cornering in-mind,but is not as strong for a drag type car.
The Track-Lok posi units are good all-around unit,& are rebuildable.They can be set up more aggressively & made tighter,but they are still not as good as a Detroit Locker.
The Auburn units are at the bottom.They are a cone style unit,which is known to wear & possibly break,& are not rebuildable.

I would get the Detroit Locker & be done.Now is also the time to consider swapping axles,if you are considering the bigger ones.However,if you are thinking of going with the 35-spline parts,you will need a center section with a 3.25" bore to accommodate the larger bearings.If not,you will either need to stay with the 31-spline,or sell your whole center,& start with another.The bigger 35-spline shafts also give you the option of gun-drilling,and having a hollow shaft for less recipricating weight.Just plug the inside ends,so you don't leak any fluid.A spool is completely enclosed,so you would not leak any fluid.
If you do go with a spool,you might as well get a lightweight steel or aluminum one,along with the hollow shafts,to shave as much weight as possible.

My 9" build is a little more exotic,but the same idea:
9" housing with rear brace
Strange aluminum 12-bolt Chevy center section
Detroit Locker 35-spline
35-spline axles,lightened/gun-drilled
The will be a totally streetable rear that will hold up to whatever I put in front of it.I will also do a back-to-back test with this & my existing rear,to see if/what the differences are. Scale weight,ET.MPH,etc.
[/quote]

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts