Widest front tire?

DOUG213XRJ

MalibuRacing Junkie
Sep 18, 2006
West, MI
rjleiker said:
Would it be a good idea to get a 7 inch rim on the front to accommodate the wider tire? or just stick with 8" all around?
On the malibu`s i have 15X7 but on the El camino i have 15X8 and they dont rub.

A

Anonymous

Mine are 8" Corvette Aluminum rims (78-82 version) all the way around. I believe the backspacing is 4". Again, I've always run 235/60R/15 all the way around without issue (but it isn't lowered), and just put 255/60R/15 on the back.

I'm waiting on the spindles to be delivered. When they are here and I have it lowered, I'll check clearances and post pics.

rjleiker

Amateur Racer
Sep 24, 2008
Derby, KS
That would be great... pictures are always a good addition...

Doober

Jun 2, 2003
Catalina, AZ
www.cardomain.com
I'm going to be attempting a 275/40/17 on mine (came on the wheels :?), I hope I'm not being overly hopeful on them fitting :lol:

Overall width of the tire is about 10 7/8", height is about 25 3/4". I used my little tire tool doohickey and it looks like with the right backspacing (spacers) I can get it, but may rub slightly at full lock somewhere. Wish me luck! [-o< [-o< [-o<

0327092039.jpg

rjleiker

Amateur Racer
Sep 24, 2008
Derby, KS
275 all the way around?

I know those should fit on the back, you may need a 1/4" or so spacer, unless you never want to fishtail... The sidewalls like to flex at that height and rub the frame rail... not sure about the shorter sidewall with the taller wheel... should be a little tighter...

of course this may not apply if all your bushings are in good shape... as mine are probably all still original from 1983...

Doober

Jun 2, 2003
Catalina, AZ
www.cardomain.com
Yeah, I haven't measured the back yet (no clue on side-to-side with the old bushings), just tried to get an idea of whether or not I'll even be close to being able to fit them. The wheels themselves are 9" or 9½" I think, maybe even 10"... they came in all those sizes :-k

Being a 40 series I doubt they'll flex much at all.
downsized_0327091955.jpg

It will probably be slightly lower than this after the motor/trans are back in.
Lowered.gif

A

Anonymous

Okay, so here is the one I am working on. Finally got the drop spindles in. Think I'm going to drop the back 1" from here.

But, I said I'd post pics of the 235/60/15 front and 255/60/15 rear combo. Here's some pics.

Before the Front Drop (front didn't rub):
Before.jpg

After the Front Drop (front does rub on hard turns and bad bumps/dips):
After.jpg

Current Stance:
Stance.jpg

My thoughts at this point is that I either have to stiffen the front to stop the rubbing or I should have went with a smaller tire than the 235/60/15. Keep in mind, I am using 15x8 corvette wheels with a 4" backspace.

No issues at all in the rear, plenty of room for something a little wider or taller. I didn't want too much sidewall for handling reasons, so I chose the 255/60/15.

Hope all this helps.

nowukno

Dragway Regular
Sep 26, 2004
s.california
formikec said:
Okay, so here is the one I am working on. Finally got the drop spindles in. Think I'm going to drop the back 1" from here.

But, I said I'd post pics of the 235/60/15 front and 255/60/15 rear combo. Here's some pics.

Before the Front Drop (front didn't rub):
Before.jpg

After the Front Drop (front does rub on hard turns and bad bumps/dips):
After.jpg

Current Stance:
Stance.jpg

My thoughts at this point is that I either have to stiffen the front to stop the rubbing or I should have went with a smaller tire than the 235/60/15. Keep in mind, I am using 15x8 corvette wheels with a 4" backspace.

No issues at all in the rear, plenty of room for something a little wider or taller. I didn't want too much sidewall for handling reasons, so I chose the 255/60/15.

Hope all this helps.
Thats way too much front tire for that stance,Try somthing in the 225 or 235/50 or even 55 series sidewall if available in a 15" tire then you should be ok

A

Anonymous

I installed the monte ss sway bar that I had and it helped considerably. If I were racing, I'd just remove the inner fender wells and it would be okay, but it is a street car, so I'm not going to do that. I am going to replace the two top inner fender bolts with plastic retainers like late models use, and it should be okay. I don't think it is rubbing the two bolts now (with the new sway bar), but I want to be comfortable I'm not going to have a blowout going down the interstate if I hit a big dip in the road.

I realize the tires are larger than most would want, but I've always run 235/60/15 all the way around without issue (until I dropped the front). And I already had the tires bought. Next time round I'll go a little smaller on the front.

Just sharing my experience for others to consider.

larryg

Frequent Racer
Jun 6, 2008
Western Mass
I have the same aluminum vette rims and had to swap out the 245/60's they had on them. I bought a set of T/A Radials in 215/60 for the front and should know in a day or so if problem is solved. The car is an '84 cutty and I did manage to throw on a set of 275/50's in the rear with only a hint of rub. I plan on bending the lips up a bit and I think it'll be fine after that. My little 6 shooter is feeling the pain though! :p Must install the 403.....

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts