What did U do to your G-body today??

78elk

Dragway Regular
Mar 6, 2014
Mountain Home Id
I bought a new battery charger and tried charging up the Elk. It didn't work. I'll have to get a new battery. It bugs me this is the second bad Interstate Battery. The Interstate Battery I had before these 2 was in the Elk for 10 years. The only thing that could use the voltage is the clock.

t5montecarlo

MalibuRacing Junkie
Oct 21, 2007
Lederach, PA
garage-scene.com
I bought a new battery charger and tried charging up the Elk. It didn't work. I'll have to get a new battery. It bugs me this is the second bad Interstate Battery. The Interstate Battery I had before these 2 was in the Elk for 10 years. The only thing that could use the voltage is the clock.
I used to undo the negative cable if the car was going to sit for any length of time. When I got tired of disconnecting the battery to keep it from dying, I finally installed a battery cut off switch. It is much easier to turn off the battery, now, and the battery lasts a lot longer. I have a digital clock in the radio, which is a slow drain. I never tried to see if there is any other parasitic losses.

I made a bracket and mouted it to the inside of the right fender, behind the battery, just below the hood line. I need to redo it because the hood lightly touches the bracket. I don't have any pictures, but will see about putting some up another time.

t5montecarlo

MalibuRacing Junkie
Oct 21, 2007
Lederach, PA
garage-scene.com
I forgot to mention that I also tried one of those disconnects with a knob that attaches to the battery terminal. It was a failure. There is so little contact with that device that it would arc and then have too much resistance to connect. After being fed up with it not connecting, I threw it out. Don't bother trying one of those things.

78elk

Dragway Regular
Mar 6, 2014
Mountain Home Id
I got my new battery on warranty and put it in the Elk. It turned over for a while, getting gas to the carburetor. It ran great. It has been about a month since it was last started.

Reactions: melloelky

t5montecarlo

MalibuRacing Junkie
Oct 21, 2007
Lederach, PA
garage-scene.com
I used to undo the negative cable if the car was going to sit for any length of time. When I got tired of disconnecting the battery to keep it from dying, I finally installed a battery cut off switch. It is much easier to turn off the battery, now, and the battery lasts a lot longer. I have a digital clock in the radio, which is a slow drain. I never tried to see if there is any other parasitic losses.

I made a bracket and mouted it to the inside of the right fender, behind the battery, just below the hood line. I need to redo it because the hood lightly touches the bracket. I don't have any pictures, but will see about putting some up another time.
I took a picture of the switch and bracket. You can see a mark on the top of the bracket, towards the front, where the hood has been touching the bracket.

I inserted 2 nutserts into the fender to mount the bracket, using an existing hole. There are 2 sleeves inside the bracket so the bolts can be tightened without collapsing the bracket.

20200925_170623.jpg

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!