1979 Malibu Speedometer Replacement Options

96gt4.6

Daily Driver
Feb 9, 2014
Hey guys,

The speedometer in my '79 is starting to take a dump. I was wondering, are there any other cars that have a cluster that will directly interchange into my '79? Right now, I have a speedometer with the blank clock area, and that's it. Pretty basic! Hoping there is a direct interchange out of something else that may have oil pressure/temp/ect.

Thanks in advance!

Al

Doober

Jun 2, 2003
Catalina, AZ
www.cardomain.com
The Montes and El Caminos are the only direct fit, and there were 3 (or 4 depending on how you look) housings/styles that come to mind... 1st is the wide sweep (optional clock opposite the fuel gauge), 'round gauge' cluster that had just warning lights in the oil/temp/volts locations... next in line is the housing that actually has gauges for oil/temp/volts, but no tach (some have a clock I believe). You can put a tach in place of the blank filler on the right, the traces are already there (at least the one I found at the junkyard was like that). The housing with the warning lights in place of the gauges will not accept actual gauges because the housing is molded different, only to use light bulbs, and the circuit traces on the back are different too.

You can re-pin the harness to run the gauge-style cluster setup fairly easily if you are good with releasing the catches on the plug and following diagrams (took me a half hour, taking my time), and simply replace the oil/temp switches in the block with sending units. You may have to reroute the speedo cable too.

96gt4.6

Daily Driver
Feb 9, 2014
Thank you sir! I currently have the wide sweep by that description. I would love to get the gauge style. Wiring it in would be no problem. What years monte/El Camino should I start my search? Thank you for the help!

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!