200r4 TRANS PROBLEMS

gbodyera

Amateur Racer
Jan 14, 2010
Miami- Detroit
Well, I got a car and it has what I believe to be a trans problem. First of all the engine is a 305 and from the pan, the trans looks like its a 2004R. When I put the car in gear, it feels like theres a stall in the trans. The car doesnt move until I get the RPM's a little higher. It doesnt move as soon as I hit the gas. Its like it has to build up rpm for it to move. It doesnt always shift right either.

Once it does move, sometimes I hear a light tapping noise around the trans. Only when I hit the gas though. Im guessing its the converter.IDK

A buddy of mine came by and tried adjusting some cables under the hood but no luck.

Can you guys maybe point me in the right direction?

TIA

SSedan64

Dragway Regular
Oct 5, 2009
MACON, GA.
You'll need to install a pressure gauge to ID if you have a Converter, Pump pressure or Clutch problem.
Cheap Guage >> http://www.sjdiscounttools.com/atd-5550.html
Pressure Readings at bottom >> http://www.jakesperformance.com/TV_Cable_Setup_Info.html

Line pressure Port location, above Shift Lever Shaft. Pic below.

Attachments

• 2004R Line Pressure Tap.jpg
    2004R Line Pressure Tap.jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 1,305

gbodyera

Amateur Racer
Jan 14, 2010
Miami- Detroit
Well I found its a 700r4 trans. I chnged the filter and gasket, added new fluid and now it isnt moving at all. then i added some more and its back to the same thing.

gbodyera

Amateur Racer
Jan 14, 2010
Miami- Detroit
i found a fast leak where the dipstick assembly goes into the transmission. Could it lose pressure because of that?

shadychevyowner

Dragway Regular
Jun 28, 2005
Numidia Pa
nope its dead. my 700r4 did same thing in my caprice. Dont go revving it up to move either. We reved mine up a lot to get it into garage and doing so made the clutches get so hot it ruined the clutch drum. So i needed more parts while rebuilding it.

axisg

Frequent Racer
May 13, 2008
YYZ ( Toronto )
there are plates with a friction coating on them ( called clutch plates ). Once the coating is wiped / worn off all you are doing is making more heat.

Bottom line 99% sure your trans is done. If you continue to overrev the trans it will overheat and start more damage.

shadychevyowner

Dragway Regular
Jun 28, 2005
Numidia Pa
axisg said:
there are plates with a friction coating on them ( called clutch plates ). Once the coating is wiped / worn off all you are doing is making more heat.

Bottom line 99% sure your trans is done. If you continue to overrev the trans it will overheat and start more damage.

thats what happened to mine when i reved it up. amazing how much you can ruin a trans doing that.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts