28 spline mini spool

A

Anonymous

I have a ?. I have a 79 monte with a 84 ss rear with 410 gear. Can i use a 28 spline mini spool with new 28 spline axles and use the current carrier. Its a open carrier. Right now its a 26 spline Thanks

cutlass389

Frequent Racer
Feb 2, 2009
NC
Nope. I tried the same thing and found that the 26 spline carrier is too small for the 28 spline axles to enter at the carrier bearing diameter. You need to get a 28 spline open carrier for the minispool or a factory or aftermarket limited slip carrier. I got a Gleason-Torson LSD out of a 4th gen f-body and Moser 28 spline c-clip axles for my 7.625" rear out of a '86 Monte SS. The Gleason is all gear drive like the Detroit Trutrac. GM went to these instead of the clutch style to put up with the power of the LS1 motors. Hummer(GM) also uses these(bigger I'm sure) front and rear in the H1 Hummer and they have diesel torque and are used HARD. With a support girdle I'm starting my 4th full season running points with slicks and haven't broken it yet. It weighs 2900 lbs and I leave at 1400 rpms with an automatic. 60's 1.55-1.60. I saw an article quoting a guy from Moser saying that that setup is good for 400 RWHP behind an AUTOMATIC.

455_82malibu

Pro Stocker
May 19, 2006
WISCONSIN
really...I know back a few years ago they listed all mini spools fot the 7 5/8" carriers only, now I see they list them for all 7.5" ?

cutlass389

Frequent Racer
Feb 2, 2009
NC
I may be wrong but I believe that 7.5 & 7.625 stuff is interchangable, assuming that you have the carrier splines matched to the axle spline count and the proper 2 series or 3 series matched to the ring gear(spacer or thick gear not withstanding).

455_82malibu

Pro Stocker
May 19, 2006
WISCONSIN
your right, they both bolt in, I ordered a mini spool 2 years ago and it said right in the ad that it wouldnt fit the 7.5" carrier, but looking online now there are alot of listings for 28 spline7.5" mini spools, but if the axle wont fit in the carrier I guess it wont work very good....I never checked that.

A

Anonymous

Hey guys thanks for the info my computer has been down . So i hadnt been here for a while

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts