2nd gen Camaro spinbdes on a g body?

daveybtv

Weekend Racer
Aug 27, 2011
Buffalo NY
I just bought a 79 Malibu, that was built about 7-10 years ago, the guy that built the car was a GM teck so looks like the work was done right, it has Hotckis tubular upper control arms with second gen Camaro spindles and breaks, the rear is also Hotckis boxed control arms upper and lower with Hotchkis lowering springs on all 4 corners and KBY shocks, it also was up graded to MCSS front and rear sway bars.

The question I have is the Camaro spindles, I have heard of B body spindle swaps in G body’s but not from a Camaro? He said that with the control arms this spindle allows for better camber settings?

So far just every day driving it seems to be tight?

LS6 Tommy

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 15, 2004
North Jersey
You just listed all the benefits of the B-body spindle/F-body 12" brake conversion. I be he is mistaken about the f-body spindles.

Tommy

NOT A TA

Frequent Racer
Nov 30, 2009
Delray Beach FL
I have a Hotchkis kit including their tubular arms to install on my 81 Malibu and it requires the use of an early 2nd gen spindle for the application. I am not sure why, and I'm no suspension engineer so I just go by what they recommend. Luckily for me, I'm taking off a set from my 70 Firebird to install Bear brakes which come with their spindle.

LS6 Tommy

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 15, 2004
North Jersey
I remember now. The Hotchkis arms can be used with either the F- or B-body spindle. The B-body spindles are easier to get brake stuff for.

Tommy

daveybtv

Weekend Racer
Aug 27, 2011
Buffalo NY
Re: 2nd gen Camaro spindles on a g body?

Cool thank guys, from what Ive learned the F body spindles are not that much different from the B-body spindles geometry is pretty much the same.

StreetBu

MalibuRacing Junkie
Mar 21, 2004
Upstate NY
AFAIK, the spindle them selves are the same, just use the later model IROC 1LE front rotors and you would have 12" front discs :) Might want to double check me on that just to make sure though.

daveybtv

Weekend Racer
Aug 27, 2011
Buffalo NY
I found the info on the Hotchkis site: when using their upper control arms, " Note: Arms do not work with factory spindles! Spindles required are 70-76 GM F-Body, or 78+ GM B-Body. Spindles will lower vehicle 3/4" and widen track width 3/8" per side"

The master cylinder must be changed to one with a 1.125” bore. The optimum set-up is to use the master cylinder and proportioning valve that matches the new calipers. The master cylinder from a 1970 to 1981 Camaro or a 1978 to 1996 Caprice will bolt to the stock power booster without modification. On some cars you may have to reverse the brake lines at the master cylinder. The hex on both lines is the same, but the thread size is different and the lines will only go one way.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts