2x4 wood car stands

DOUG213XRJ

MalibuRacing Junkie
Sep 18, 2006
West, MI
I see them on a lot of TV shows. Has any one built and used these ? how safe are they for a complete car ?

Thanks Doug

Killerdave8813

Dragway Regular
Jan 16, 2008
Cincinnati,Ohio
Huh, never heard tell of such a thing, I'd like to see some pictures of that, I've seen pics on here of guys using timbers and concrete blocks to hold body shells for frame offs but never seen anything like that, I think I'd prefer steel, besides you can get some pretty good jack stands these days pretty inexpensively

Toner283

Amateur Racer
Aug 23, 2008
Arthur, Ontario, Canada
Huh, never heard tell of such a thing, I'd like to see some pictures of that, I've seen pics on here of guys using timbers and concrete blocks to hold body shells for frame offs but never seen anything like that, I think I'd prefer steel, besides you can get some pretty good jack stands these days pretty inexpensively

Google image search wooden car stands or wooden car cribbing. Lots of photos on the net. The biggest advantage of having a car up on the wooden cribbing is you can work at it with everything at ride height. Depending on what job you're doing this can be very helpful. As long as they are built correctly they are just as safe as jack stands and probably from an engineering standpoint, stronger. They can be built as high as you need them for whatever job you're doing, the only limitation is how far your jack can lift the car. Not really practical for an oil change or a short-term repair but something that's going to take a few days or weeks to accomplish they are an excellent option.

Screwloose

Pro Stocker
Aug 23, 2003
Minneapolis, MN
The more common name for these are cribbing.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!